Plymouth Gold Duster

-

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on the sale price/value of a 1974 Plymouth Gold Duster. The seller says its a 318 with a 727 auto trans. (I seem to think it isn't a 727 but if it is when I look at it... yay!) Any way the seller is asking $4500, i think that is a bit high because,from the pics the car looks to be repainted with rust issues on the A pillar and around the windshield. I suspect the car had the vinyl top that started part way up from the rear window and went down the A pillars to the cowl. I don't know or wont know if the car "needs a roof" unless I buy it and start stripping etc. So, two questions, what would you guys offer, and what rear should be in it? ( I am thinking the 8 1/4 rear probably not Sure grip). I beleive the car runs drives and stops. I was thinking $3500-$3800 first offer, then probably end up around $4000 ( If I dont offend the guy) :).

I am looking for opinions on the sale price/value of a 1974 Plymouth Gold Duster. The seller says its a 318 with a 727 auto trans. (I seem to think it isn't a 727 but if it is when I look at it... yay!) Any way the seller is asking $4500, i think that is a bit high because,from the pics the car looks to be repainted with rust issues on the A pillar and around the windshield. I suspect the car had the vinyl top that started part way up from the rear window and went down the A pillars to the cowl. I don't know or wont know if the car "needs a roof" unless I buy it and start stripping etc. So, two questions, what would you guys offer, and what rear should be in it? ( I am thinking the 8 1/4 rear probably not Sure grip). I beleive the car runs drives and stops. I was thinking $3500-$3800 first offer, then probably end up around $4000 ( If I dont offend the guy) :).
You don't get much for $4000. Offer less and meet in the middle.

If you want the car, make him an offer closer to what you have in mind. The worst he can tell you is "NO". You can always up your offer until you get to a price you both agree on.

Ok so what do you guys think something like this is worth ,nicely painted and running? keep in mind it isnt a "Performance" model,but I have parts to do some performance mods,up to and including a 340 that I could build up and put into it. I have always visioned myself building/drag racing a Duster, this could be it :)

P.S. If anyone here is the owner, I am just trying to figure out my starting offer,however if I look at it and like what I see, I may pay full price ... :)

Take a body guy with you to give you advice. Then think about it 1 day before dropping any money. It's a basic model. You will not recoup all the money and time you put into it, if you decide later it's not what you want. Bucket seats, console, 4 speed, fold down back seat, sun roof, sport mirrors, dual exhaust? Now, how about your plan mechanically? Where do you want to be money invested wise 2 years from now?

(Start with an end in mind)

So, thinking about all that you want to do and what $$ you will pay for repairs, is this a base car you really are dedicated to puttin
g that much effort and money into? Wife and kids will have say in how much time and money you really can sink into this car..
My opinion, not worth buying. Buy another in better condition, closer to being what you want already. In the long run, it's cheaper.

Take a body guy with you to give you advice. Then think about it 1 day before dropping any money. It's a basic model. You will not recoup all the money and time you put into it, if you decide later it's not what you want. Bucket seats, console, 4 speed, fold down back seat, sun roof, sport mirrors, dual exhaust? Now, how about your plan mechanically? Where do you want to be money invested wise 2 years from now?

(Start with an end in mind)

So, thinking about all that you want to do and what $$ you will pay for repairs, is this a base car you really are dedicated to puttin
g that much effort and money into? Wife and kids will have say in how much time and money you really can sink into this car..
My opinion, not worth buying. Buy another in better condition, closer to being what you want already. In the long run, it's cheaper.
I think you're right. I seem to instinctively feel the price is $1000 too high. Like you said it is a base model. People do like to cash in on Mopars. people that don't really know. I other words $3500 seems about right to me,and i was thinking of offering $3800 as to not insult the guy, but what if i did offer $3500,he gets insulted, I walk so what right? Like you said, i do some body work maybe a repaint but nothing show resto quality, i drive it and sell in a few years. I may only get 4 grand.

I think you're right. I seem to instinctively feel the price is $1000 too high. Like you said it is a base model. People do like to cash in on Mopars. people that don't really know. I other words $3500 seems about right to me,and i was thinking of offering $3800 as to not insult the guy, but what if i did offer $3500,he gets insulted, I walk so what right? Like you said, i do some body work maybe a repaint but nothing show resto quality, i drive it and sell in a few years. I may only get 4 grand.
You just need to think about what you want in the car, before you buy it. I've jumped at cars before thinking, too many times. I never buy with the idea to sell/or flip it. Depending on how far you want to go with it, it might be exactly what fits your idea and budget. I know usually I cant drop 10-20K into a car at purchase. So, I end up with cheaper cars I can make "mine" over time. I have a 71 Demon currently I havent touched since I bought it in December. Only buying parts I dont have. Will start the metal work this winter. And with family, they always should take priority!!

Actually My vision has been a low budget racer. This may be a good candidate for that. Put a good running small block in it and go. Yes I shouldn't think in terms of flipping. I tried that once with a Mustang Fox body, i bought it to flip,still own it . :)

I paid $800.00 for my 75 Dart Sport 2 years ago, not running, 360 seized/grenaded, 727 trans. It had a 4 point roll bar and a pair of aftermarket seats, a wet nitrous plate, Demon carb, fuel cell and battery in the trunk, lots of other questionable mods, etc. Oh and a totally trashed left 1/4 panel, but included a new one. 2 summers almost gone now, I have an estimated $5 to 6k invested in parts, plus a few hundred hours, and it still isn't running . I have sold off some af the items I won't be reusing, and bought TTi headers for $1250.00, which I didn't absolutely need, just preferred over the junk that was on it.
Make a list of your expectations and a budget, then see how they line up, don't have any expectations of getting your money back.

I talked to the guy on the phone,he said theres rust issues,sounds like frame rail in front. I am going to look at it tonight see how bad it is, I am thinking 4 grand is no go though. hate to say it but Im thinking 2500 I dont think hes going for that. mainly because If I pay 4 then I'm stuck with it,either fixing it or parting it, and 4 grand id just too much for that situation. Any way Ill look ati ti and see how much welding is needed etc. I told the guy i wanted to look at it not just hear "rust" on the phone and run away... these cars,when I started out in the 80's were 15-20 years old, now they are almost 50,rust is to be expected IMO.

I went and looked at it, it starts up nice,interior is "ratty" no carpet, door panels toast, B&M shifter. Nice aluminum radiator. It has a plate welded on the outside LF frame rail,and rust that you can see on the engine side. That is a issue because I don't know whats under.I would want to redo the frame rail where it isn't a plate welded over it. so, I don't want to be into the car much money wise and if I want to sell it be in a predicament with the welded plate in the frame. I offered 3 grand, but the guy said he has offers like that all day. I said put me in line if the others dont work out.. I had the inclination to up the offer to 3500, but after talking to the OL last night she said about "finishing the one you already have" i said "yeah I can throw w the money into the interior of the dart and have change." I dunno, it is a nice "drive home condition Duster, I feel though that I would be committed to fixing that frame rail the right way or id be stuck with taking a loss on the car. Rest of the body seemed solid though. I am on the fence. I would even pay $3500-3800 but like said id be comitted to fixing it,and it would probably sit a while before I do. Another part o fme thinks that at 4 grand , save 4 grand more and there are nice down south rust free cars out there for 8-9 grand...

You're already second guessing about it, save more and buy a rust free one, save a lot of time and effort. JMO
Yes, I was already looking "on a national classic car listing,seeing what the prices are on similar vehicles. I think this car is a "rat rod" and I am partial to nice finished interiors etc. Its one of my quirks. i can deal with primer or a ratty outside,but the interior has to be presentable. I think in terms of women,would a woman get in it and not complain? One thing I cant take is a woman saying"this car is junk" now if it is a clean old car, they are more responsve, like "wow this is neat...";)

-
Back