Plymouth letters

-

Idaho fish

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but can someone tell me the best way to remove and then replace in the right spot the plymouth letters on the hood of a 67 barracuda.

Do you mean the PLYMOUTH letters on the sheet metal in front of the hood?

Letters are on the header or nose that houses the headlights, are you tying to take them off or replace them?

Letters are on the header or nose that houses the headlights, are you tying to take them off or replace them?
On the front of my 67 there are individual letters spelling out plymouth that go all the way across the front of the hood. My 68 is different and has what you say, that will be easy. Its the one with the individual letters I am not sure how to do.

The letters should have speed nuts securing them
Each letter is spot specific as I recall

The letters are on the header panel correct and your trying to remove them. If you feel up behind each individual letter there is a cutter nut 7/16+/- you should be able to get an extension in there. Kinda hard to mix them up during reassembly.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks, I hope it is as simple as that. I am on the road now, I will look closer for that when I get home

The header panels are different between 67 and 68 .
Of course that didnt stop me from installing a 67 on my 68 .

Be careful... the letters are pot metal. I have half a dozen assorted ones with broken-off studs. The "cutter nuts" do a good job of cutting into the pot metal and weakening it if overtightened.

The header panels are different between 67 and 68 .
Of course that didnt stop me from installing a 67 on my 68 .
I know a lot of the 67-68 differences, but what is the header panel difference, please?

I am making the assumption you are needing to drill the holes for the letters on a 68 header panel.

Of course the lettering but I think there is also a dimensional difference
for the grills .

Dimensionally, the header panels are the same. Except for the center plastic grille piece, the surrounds from 67 and 68 are the same. The only difference I’m aware of are the letters in question. If I were the OP, I would spray down those speed nuts in advance of trying to remove the letters.

Dimensionally, the header panels are the same. Except for the center plastic grille piece, the surrounds from 67 and 68 are the same. The only difference I’m aware of are the letters in question. If I were the OP, I would spray down those speed nuts in advance of trying to remove the letters.
Agree a little PB Blaster let them sit awhile and then I use a small nut driver to remove. When you put them back on don't over tighten them.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Sorry I was calling it the hood when it was the header panel. I didn't know the correct term. Good idea to spray it with PB blaster.

I've removed the 67 fish grilles and letters 2 ways. Last time, I pulled the entire header panel/assembly and laid it face down on a blanket. Because I had to 1st pull the tag bracket and front bumper, I'm still undecided which way is easiest. Good luck with it.

-
Back