Points for 66 273 dual point

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been getting the run around finding points for my stock dual point. The Napa computer continues to list big block points (larger and backwards) compared to the ones in the distributor. I went through the same issue when I was looking for a Pertronix kit for it. The one that fits is a application from the late 50's Mopars with a dual point Hemi. I found some old points boxes I had saved so with the part numbers I hope to get the right ones. tmm

I don't understand your question. Are you looking for points for your distributor?

If that's what you're looking for, Rock Auto has them. Standard Ignition #AL5677P2

If you have those boxes, just about anyone who claims to be a parts man should be able to interchange the number. You yourself might be able to search online

Any 'real' parts guy used to be able to look them up

by distributor tag no.

interchanging other brand numbers

of course application

and if all else fails "the pictorial guide."

I guess it was a rant Rusty. I think I located the correct number. I am stopping by NAPA tomorrow to return the wrong points. There's a good counterman that knows how to read the catalogs. I'll see what he comes up with. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem.

If that's what you're looking for, Rock Auto has them. Standard Ignition #AL5677P2

Those are the same as the wrong ones I got at NAPA. Too long and backwards unless the photo is wrong.

I got CS720P's from Napa .Same as the AL5677p2's

What does your old boxes say? Good lord those NAPA no fits from WWI to "back to the future," practically.

I guess it was a rant Rusty. I think I located the correct number. I am stopping by NAPA tomorrow to return the wrong points. There's a good counterman that knows how to read the catalogs. I'll see what he comes up with. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem.

****, when everyone went to the EPC, made us throw out the paper cataloges. I wound up with lots of catalogs! MT

****, when everyone went to the EPC, made us throw out the paper cataloges. I wound up with lots of catalogs! MT

I'm lucky enough to have a store that still has catalogs. lol

I hope the NAPA CS721A's will be correct.

Should be ECH CS720A. I'm partial to Echelin points. That part number is Echelin's for the dual point Prestolite distributor. If you want the vented version, try ECH CS720P.

FWIW: I've had trouble in the past with Standard brand ignition parts. (Some times it can't be helped. I use what's available.) Usually it's the rubbing block that has come off.

Should be. I'm partial to Echelin points. That part number is Echelin's for the dual point Prestolite distributor.

FWIW: I've had trouble in the past with Standard brand ignition parts. (Some times it can't be helped. I use what's available.) Usually it's the rubbing block that has come off.

Agreed. The Standards were always cheaper. We had Filko 40 years ago that was good stuff.

Should be ECH CS720A. I'm partial to Echelin points. That part number is Echelin's for the dual point Prestolite distributor. If you want the vented version, try ECH CS720P.

But the CS720's are not correct. I got CS720p's and they are too long and backwards.

my 1967 dart / charger factory service manual shows point gap at .014"--.019" but i have found on the big blocks IF the points set flat to each other .015' will get you 42 degrees. my book calls out one set 27 degree to 31 degree. and both sets 36 degree to 40 degree total. DO NOT set gap less than .015. there is a tip. clamp the shaft tang in a vise. 2 or 3 lobes are higher than the others. rotate the housing slowly and set the points so a small feeler .015" falls down out of the points, on the highest lobes.

'

Good info Moe. I'll have to give it a try.

I never even set gap after about the 3rd set of points. I just simply "guess" then check dwell on one set "on the starter." Sometimes I would START it on one set and recheck the dwell. Then set the other one for total, I don't remember, anymore I think I "aimed" for 38 degrees.

My old V code 70 6bbl, and for the first few years, the 71 340 engine both had DP. Also had a hemi tach drive DP that I ran in a couple of engines. I had a part time job back then at the NAS Miramar hobby shop helping guys out on an Allen tune-up machine / scope.

I once walked into an Autozone years ago and asked for a set of ignition points. "What dat iz?" was the response I got so I have never been back.

The manager was going to contact someone he knows at Corporate to get the application changed.

Does Accel have a point set listed for the dual point?? They've always been a good set of points, stronger spring and better construction! Geof

I once walked into an Autozone years ago and asked for a set of ignition points. "What dat iz?" was the response I got so I have never been back.

I have to special order wiper blade refills from my Autozone.....wiper blades! They only stock wiper arms now. But the hub is only 12 miles away so if I order it before 11:30, they are there by 14:00. Not bad but still a little annoying.

Yes no one carries refills anymore. They stock the entire blade.

-
Back