Port size rpm performer manifold question

-

Duster Duke Boy

Just a good ol boy
Reaction score
I need to know what size this port is on an Edelbrock performer rpm for a small block 360 see pic?

it looks like 1/2 npt but not sure.

it goes to the heater core and I need to swap it for a 1/2 in nipple, currently has a 5/8

Thanks

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 12.27.53 PM.png

Last edited:
I don't own a Ed rpm, but I betcha it's 3/8 NPT. On my Speedmaster intake, the hole in that location is 3/8 NPT. Hole on PS next to thermostat housing is 1/4 NPT (on SM intake )which is what I used for my 1/2 heater hose. Hole next to it is 1/8 NPT, which I used for temp gauge. See pic :

intake 5-1-21 002.JPG

I don't own a Ed rpm, but I betcha it's 3/8 NPT. On my Speedmaster intake, the hole in that location is 3/8 NPT. Hole on PS next to thermostat housing is 1/4 NPT (on SM intake )which is what I used for my 1/2 heater hose. Hole next to it is 1/8 NPT, which I used for temp gauge. See pic :

View attachment 1716192179

Thanks maybe I should swap heater to the ps hole

So the one on drivers side is 5/8 npt and one on pass side is 1/2 npt. just in case anyone needs that info

Maybe this will help.
9F22567C-B744-4452-B1B2-1604A540B7E1.jpeg

From left to right;
1/8 NPT
1/4 NPT
3/8 NPT
1/2 NPT

Listen to @TT5.9mag . I just measured the RPM manifold that's on my shelf. Trust me. Pipe is measured by ID of the pipe itself, not by the thread dimensions. NPT is measured completely different than standard thread pitch. 5/8" NPT is HUGE.
I’m just trying to learn not about not trusting, trying to understand. if I measure hole at 1/2 in how do I know what size npt it is?

Npt will be confusing at first, but once you work with it for a while you will recognize the sizes and become familiar with it. The taper gives it away. NPT fittings are common on anything that is supposed to retain a fluid. And use a thread sealer on them. Mostly for lubricating the threads but also to seal up. I prefer the loctite paste.

image.jpg

Npt will be confusing at first, but once you work with it for a while you will recognize the sizes and become familiar with it. The taper gives it away. NPT fittings are common on anything that is supposed to retain a fluid. And use a thread sealer on them. Mostly for lubricating the threads but also to seal up. I prefer the loctite paste.

View attachment 1716192638
Thanks

I’m just trying to learn not about not trusting, trying to understand. if I measure hole at 1/2 in how do I know what size npt it is?
Hey no biggie. We've all gotta start somewhere. Good on you for trying to figure it. Besides the photo above, check out a standard drill chart. a 1/2-14 NPT tap uses a 23/32" drill bit (nearly 3/4") whereas a 3/8-18 NPT uses a 37/64" (about 9/16"). I reference the one on my wall all the time.

1705342412934.jpeg

Hey no biggie. We've all gotta start somewhere. Good on you for trying to figure it. Besides the photo above, check out a standard drill chart. a 1/2-14 NPT tap uses a 23/32" drill bit (nearly 3/4") whereas a 3/8-18 NPT uses a 37/64" (about 9/16"). I reference the one on my wall all the time.

View attachment 1716192640
I never was good at fittings but trying to get better thanks

I don't think there even is such a thing as "5/8 npt".

-
Back