Portable Air/Fuel Ratio meter

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a tailpipe sniffer A/F ratio meter.

Found this video.

This let's you put your O2 sensor into the fixture, insert it into your tail pipe, hook it up to your A/F ratio meter

Exhaust Clamp - P/N: 37280 > Universal Accessories > Innovate Motorsports
Screenshot_20220219-175507.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I would trust that

O2 sensors have a relatively short range of where in the exhaust they can be placed in order to be accurate...and I think this overshoots it by about 6 feet

Don't know?

I was watching a show (don't remember which one) and the were dynoing a car and that's what the used in the tail pipe.

It would be fairly easy to calibrate it by putting it in the tail pipe of a car that has an O2 sensor and read it's output vs the portable one.

Mechanical engineer I work with made this and I tried it.
It needs to be in the tailpipe with the car running for quite sometime before the AFR readings are stable. I think it worked well for a shade tree solution.

20180501_083722.jpg

Yeh if you read over some of the DIY EFI literature (and add on O2 setups) they talk about how the sensor needs to be quite warm to function properly.

I believe most any of the older "tailpipe" sensors were pretty much made for idle settings.

I worked for a Harley Shop for a while. The shop had a sniffer that we rammed up the pipe for dyno runs, but it had to almost go up to the cylinder heard, into a part of the pipe that we were 100% sure was sealed to both the head and full-length. Harley guys run pretty big cams, and atmospheric air is always trying to flow back up the tailpipe, until the rpm gets up.

The Bosch WBO2 sensors are warmed up electrically and the Innovate controllers show this process and then switch over to the AFR or Lambda when its ready. It takes about a minute.

The distance up the tailpipe depends on the engine and the exhaust flow.
A car with a large diameter exhaust is going to have atmosphere pushing up the tailpipe or collector when the volumetric pulses are slow and less frequent. Shouldn't be an issue on a stock '67 273, but at idle, for a number of reasons, AFR from WBO2 always should be considered suspect and at the end of the tail, even more so.

I have that adapter and one issue with use can be the tailpipe's turndown. It just won't go in all the way to the clamp.

-
Back