porting heads and hit valve seat.....

-

Big_Al

Reaction score
well, I was in the garage today porting a set of 308 heads. the bit decided to kick back at me and hit the intake valve seat. very slight knick. will a new valve job fix it??? never had this happen before

The stem height with a 1.78 valve in a 1.88 seat cut is 1.942 inch.
With 1.88 valve the stem height is 1.890 inch, so that will give you about
0.051 inch to cut with 1.88 valve upgrade...

It's hard to say without actually seeing it but if you say that it only nicked it you should be able to just touch up the seat. Besides a good valve job will just enhance your port work.
As said above if you do intend on putting in a larger valve then you have nothing to worry about.

Ted

The stem height with a 1.78 valve in a 1.88 seat cut is 1.942 inch.
With 1.88 valve the stem height is 1.890 inch, so that will give you about
0.051 inch to cut with 1.88 valve upgrade...

The 308 already has 1.88 valves.

It depends how you define a slight nick. It probably will if the burr just brushed it. It probably won't if there was pressure on the burr when it touched it.

2.02 valves are the order of the day. This is why valve jobs get done last!

The chrysler "bible" says 1.907-1.937 inch stem height, than see how much you have for cutting valves.

There are parts of the seat that the valve does not seat on. I would do quick lap on that intake to check if it is on the actual sealing surface.

It's hard to say without actually seeing it but if you say that it only nicked it you should be able to just touch up the seat. Besides a good valve job will just enhance your port work.
As said above if you do intend on putting in a larger valve then you have nothing to worry about.

Ted
This

-
Back