Possible 68 Barracuda Formula S

-

reddog

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and currently looking at adding a 68 Barracuda 340 Formula S to my eclectic collection. I need some help understanding how Formula S and 340S relate to each other.

The Vin and fender tag clearly identify this as a 340 car. The fender tag has F7 code which I believe is for Formula 6 package. But, the hood has 340S badging on it.

Can anyone help me out? Can it be both Formula S and 340S? Which one is more desirable?

Also, how does the fender tag relate to the VIN? How do I know if the fender tag and Vin are from the same car. On the E bodies, I think the serial number is on the fender tag - not sure if this is the same for 68 A body

I will update my profile when I figure out how. I live in western Canada and have an Jaguar etype under restoration. Have restored mustangs in the past and this is my first foray into Mopars.

Steve

Welcome to FABO.

A formula S and a 340 S are the same thing. An "S" car is just a formula S. The sequence # at the end of the 1st(bottom) line of the fender tag should match the number stamped in the rad support.

Really... No such thing as a 340S... You have a Formula S with a 383 or a 340.

Hood lovers for any Formula S will say "340-S" or "383-S".

Thanks guys. The research I was doing on the internet was confusing in this manner - some sources identified Formula S, some identified it as 340S. I'll check the rad support numbers.

Just a few more things to check out on the car and my wife will likely be parking hers outside this winter.

As stated, only the hood inserts state 340-S or 383-S, this is where folks get the term for that. Formula S is the proper terminology.

Look for a P as the 5th digit in the VIN and it should be a 340 car. All 68 Barracudas with a factory 340 are Formula-S cars. Welcome to the site Moparmaybe, perhaps we can change your screen name to MoparYES!

Well I am back. Things didn't work out on the 68 Formula S. Once we got into a bit decided it needed to much work for the asking price and owner was not being very cooperative - so moved on.

Spent most of the summer looking around and finally picked up a 63 Valiant convertible. Not really what I was looking for but came across it by accident and had to rescue. A sort of barn find - 34,000 miles with 1965 bias plys still attached. Stored for last 12 years and many years before that with previous owner. Original paint but no shortage of dings and scratches from years of sitting in the way - no rust whatsoever. Engine (/6) was replaced in late 70's due to corrosion of original aluminum one (I was told). Interior is basically shot and well faded. So far, all I have done is cleaned it up, got it running (although not reliably yet) and put some rally wheels and tires on.

So, now I need to change my name from moparmaybe. But can't figure out how to do that (without opening new account). Any suggestions? I will post pictures and clean up my profile.

Also, need to pick up a few parts but having trouble locating. Right now I mainly need some interior (seat covers, etc) and trim to replace dented I can find carpets but little else.

Welcome to the sickness Moparmaybe. Contact one of the moderators I think they can change your screen name while maintaining what you already have set up.

Well I am back. Things didn't work out on the 68 Formula S. Once we got into a bit decided it needed to much work for the asking price and owner was not being very cooperative - so moved on.

Spent most of the summer looking around and finally picked up a 63 Valiant convertible. Not really what I was looking for but came across it by accident and had to rescue. A sort of barn find - 34,000 miles with 1965 bias plys still attached. Stored for last 12 years and many years before that with previous owner. Original paint but no shortage of dings and scratches from years of sitting in the way - no rust whatsoever. Engine (/6) was replaced in late 70's due to corrosion of original aluminum one (I was told). Interior is basically shot and well faded. So far, all I have done is cleaned it up, got it running (although not reliably yet) and put some rally wheels and tires on.

So, now I need to change my name from moparmaybe. But can't figure out how to do that (without opening new account). Any suggestions? I will post pictures and clean up my profile.

Also, need to pick up a few parts but having trouble locating. Right now I mainly need some interior (seat covers, etc) and trim to replace dented I can find carpets but little else.

-
Back