possible engine for my Dart

-
It no longer exists.....

Wait... WHAT? AbodyJoe driving a Mustang????

lol... the dart technically still exsists.. just not as it is in my sig pic.. still have to get a good pic of the stang to replace that picture with... :)

we have the 70 dart though that will have the good suspension under it. all in time though..

this is how it looks today...:)

6C804125-139F-46A7-A5F2-69157D806F93-2942-0000018C5958CCBF.jpg

this is the one we will be working on when the weather breaks hopefully...

DSC_0042.jpg

and i just put a set of pony wheels on my stang.. :)

27F67032-D5AB-4F2C-B62F-F478C6EBB56F-265-000000AC372E7A84.jpg

Sweet L'il Mustang! Wow, the Dart is torn down quite a bit... Would never have guessed it was the same car. Is the latest project Dart a 70?

I like mustangs too... I have a 65 fastback.

yes jamies dart is a 70.. the yellow one just needed too much body work then i wanted to pay for.. and with her 70 being spotless it didn't make sense to throw money into a rusty one. so in the end we will have a nicer car by spending a lot less money..:)

I guess I am all over the place with this, so, sorry for all my posts... here we go again...

I was contacted by a fellow member here on the board (he will remain anonomous, I hope he will be okay with me doing this)

He has a 340 he offered to me, and since I aint no mechanic, thought I would post his comment to me (I hope this is not going to offend the seller) to see what you all think. Here is the quote:

This one is a 69 engine with 68 casting. Speed pro .030 forged pistons, with the .040 head gaskets should be about 10.1 CR, bushed steel crank .002 (polished) with new bearings. so can go Auto or 4-speed, Direct Connection .508 camshaft.

X heads fresh from the machine shop (Martin at B&M engines) some mild porting, gasket matched runners, cut for PC seals and has double springs and titanium retainers.

About 500mi on the pistons and cyls no ridge and good cross hatch. From its looks I don't doubt.

I picked it up from a guy parting his project. Pulled it down to inspect and put new bearings in it, just because I was there. Crank was beautiful and amazingly unturned. I sent the heads in to get checked as I was going to use the engine. I am looking to get 2k. Tough to find and build a 360 for that.

Thought I would give you another option.

So if i can round up enough cash, what do you think? At least this seller knows the history of the engine, its complete, and presumably we could do a leak down and compression test.

I was quoted $2k to have my 318 rebuilt, which I decided to pass on. Then I decided to do a Magnum 360 swap, but then I found out that the 89-91 LA 360's have the roller cams and some other advantages, then I thought maybe I could clone my Dart into a 340 :glasses7:

Somebody just shoot me!

I picked it up from a guy parting his project. Pulled it down to inspect and put new bearings in it, just because I was there. Crank was beautiful and amazingly unturned. I sent the heads in to get checked as I was going to use the engine. I am looking to get 2k. Tough to find and build a 360 for that.

so was everything measured and checked for proper clearance or were new bearings just thrown in.. should be about 10:1? i would think if things were measured then you would know what the compression is.

also what kind of driving do you want to do? the 508/292 mp cam isn't exactly mild. it will want 3:91-4:10 gear and a loose converter...

personally unless i know the guy that built the engine well or atleast know the shop well i don't trust any engine to be good. even if i know the shop i may be cautious because i don't know what the owner of the engine told them to do and how far to gp to make it right.

its a crap shoot man.. this guys didn't have it built. sounds like he doesn't 100% know all the history of the engine..

flip a coin man.. do what you want..:)

go get a running magnum motor outa a junk yard or craigs list get the whole drivetrain and vehicle for that price and if you aint happy and his /your cash is spent your phucked at that price telll him 1200.00 wich it better be low miles hard runner and you"ll give him half down see what comeback you get

Personally, I wouldn't buy any used engine unless I was planning on going through it myself. No offense to whomever offered you the rebuilt 340, but there are a lot of unscrupulous people on the internet and they have even entered our ranks here at FABO. I trust very few people with $2k of my money, and someone on a message board isn't going to make the short list.

Back to your original question. Save the 340 for the purists. I'm pulling the 340 out of my Dart, and am going to try and find someone like yourself who will get all excited about it and probably over pay for it. It needs a FULL rebuild, but it is a 68 block with X heads so someone will want it. I am building a 408 using a 91 roller block 360 that I paid $100 for.

There are deals out there, but you have to find them, they won't come looking for you.

-
Back