Possible New Scam?

-

RedFish

Reaction score
This has me puzzled... Out of the clear blue, I received a copy of People magazine. My name and address on the label but I hadn't subscribed. After finding a 1-800 number in tiny print in the very back of this mag' I called them. They say this subscription came from one of our "subscription partners" so we can cancel it. We can cancel future deliveries and give you a different 1-866 number to call. So that number got the recording, "can not be completed as dialed". So... I called "People" back again. This time a different rep" gives me this email address... "[email protected]". Recon who the hell is that? Yeahhhh damnit,,, after some deliberation I emailed that.
So I need to look very closely at my credit card statement while they have my name, mailing address, and now email address also. Read on only if you choose to...
I'll take my garbage to the dump tomorrow. Taking this laptop PC with me is tempting. That could be a bigger mistake in the long run. Once we get into this digital life, Is there a way to get out again? I'm not sure I need credit the card, paypal, etc... Amazon, Chewy, etc.., save me dollar or 3 here and there. Ebay helps me find a few things not found at my local flee market. Do I really want to get out or not? Probably couldn't if I wanted to.

They call these third party subscriptions. Not new at all. The credit card companies know them well. If you get a charge on your cc, call them & they will remove it promptly.

They call these third party subscriptions. Not new at all. The credit card companies know them well. If you get a charge on your cc, call them & they will remove it promptly.
OK, so maybe its just new to me. Thanks

yup, my wife got one to some hussy magazine
dont remember what it was called, but i can guarantee you it wasnt something i wanted to have come to my house

I had "People" come to my house without subscribing to it. I used to like the entertainment magazines before they got too political.

I had People come to my house.... Jehovah Witness's selling Amway...

Yeah you can get out. It's called living 100% off the grid and keeping your money/gold/silver/"whatever" form of exchange you have in a safe in the house.

You cant live 100% off the grid. The government still wants their taxes and they don't take animal hydes in trade.
We are all slaves.

Few years back, I remember stopping at the mailbox and every month there was this mag, I forget the name. Never heard of it. I would take it in with the mail, and after about 6 months of this, the wife mentions this mag. I told her it was HER mag, not mine. Then she informs me how she does not read men's nudy playboy type mags!!!!!! ha
I well remember renewing one of my horse mags, but had to reorder as never came after subscription ran out. Maybe when I re subscribed the person checked off wrong box by accident or on purpose!!!!

There are so many scams out there it is hard to keep up to date....
That is why I NEVER answer my cell phone if I don't recognize the number. If it is legitimate, they will leave a message. Remember that a legitimate company will NEVER EVER call you and ask you for Credit Card numbers, Social Security Numbers, Passwords, or any other personal data to "Double Check" their information.

my sons used to sell mags for school. ordered car craft, 3 yr subscription. 5 years later still getting it. got a call 1 day. lady says she is from cc. wants me to renew. i said, sorry i don't want to renew camaro craft. no sir she says, car craft. i said no camaro craft. she asks why i said camaro craft. i said have you ever even looked at it. she said no why. every other page has a camaro on it. she says well i can give you a very special rate on it. i said no thanks. come on she said. i said do you have 1 in braille? she asks why. i said cause i'm blind. click end of conversation and no more camaro craft.

-
Back