Post '70 water pump in Pre '70 car

-

challyrtse

Reaction score
I have read on this forum that putting in a 1970 or later water pump into your Pre-1970 car is considered an "upgrade."
Just wondering what the benefits would be, and if any modification is necessary to do this. Looking at pictures of the two water pumps, it appears that they are pretty different - not the smae number of bolt holes, lower rad hose leaves on different sides, different heater hose flanges, etc...
I have the opportunity to get a good radiator and water pump from a 1970 Dart to put into my 1967 for less money than it would be to re-core my existing radiator. If this is not a hard swap, I'm going to do it!
Thanks,
Steve

I think the old water pumps are cast iron and the new ones are aluminium. You will also need a new timing chain cover for the newer style pump. Your timing mark on the balancer will need to be remade, and of course the new rad, which you will have. You may need new bolts as they may be different lenghts for the two different pumps.
There maybe more but that is all I can think of.

Thanks, Kieth. I was wondering about the timing marks, and how I'd be able to see them if the hose came out the passenger side...
I think I am just going to have my radiator rodded, and replace the water pump with a stock one. The original stuff worked pretty well for 42 years, so I guess I'll just stick with it!

-
Back