Posted by my local track manager

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hummmm don’t ask me what is going on but seeing keystones track manager post this raises some questions. IHRA has just changed hands so maybe we are headed in a different direction
EC3A6D66-DE32-4CE7-9EA5-011E60BD299B.jpeg

They will stay NHRA for sure being they have a National event there. The new owner was or is a Pro Stock racer isn’t he. I’m hearing nothing but good news from that track.
Yeah the owner is a former driver and has a son still driving pro stock. It is a good track and has been there for years. i hope it stays for years to come. But the spectators have to be able to afford it. Sometimes only the racers show up it seems.

I wish my track would dump the NHRA, but they get an insurance break by being a member. The racers get nothing for their money.

Wasn't the IHRA formed out of issues with the NHRA eons ago? Help me out like I'm dumb as a box of rocks (cuz I am lol).... what does this mean, in laymens terms?? TIA, Lefty71

I remember Quaker going to the newly formed AHRA (I think it was) about a decade back. Was defunct within a year, and back to IHRA the following. Hope this one fares better! Wish them luck

Be interesting to see what becomes of all of this. Been seeing some entertaining comments on facebook about the whole situation regarding IHRA/WDRA. Just hope it helps out the local bracket racer.

Yeah the owner is a former driver and has a son still driving pro stock. It is a good track and has been there for years. i hope it stays for years to come. But the spectators have to be able to afford it. Sometimes only the racers show up it seems.

Spectator count is really being influenced by the type of race being put on. Most folks don’t understand bracket racing enough to see the excitement and games played by the drivers. The heads up racing fills the stands and is much more appealing to the younger crowd.

For years my local track only had bracket racing events. About 5 years ago they started a heads up series that ran once a month and it has gotten to be huge. I don’t know the owner well and don’t care to but I wonder how much those big spectator events help keep the track alive.

Spectator count is really being influenced by the type of race being put on. Most folks don’t understand bracket racing enough to see the excitement and games played by the drivers. The heads up racing fills the stands and is much more appealing to the younger crowd.

For years my local track only had bracket racing events. About 5 years ago they started a heads up series that ran once a month and it has gotten to be huge. I don’t know the owner well and don’t care to but I wonder how much those big spectator events help keep the track alive.
Maybe I need to modify my car to do Index racing as well as bracket. I agree that bracket nights don't draw much of a crowd. Sad, but it is what it is.

Easier to read list. With our divisions bracket finals at Dragway 42 this weekend I’m betting the list grows next week.
1E51C859-651B-439C-8C90-8BD4B5F5506C.png

I watched the video and I like his views.
Easier to read list. With our divisions bracket finals at Dragway 42 this weekend I’m betting the list grows next week. View attachment 1715984648
Easier to read list. With our divisions bracket finals at Dragway 42 this weekend I’m betting the list grows next week. View attachment 1715984648
I watched the video and like his views and enthusiasm.This will be very interesting in the next few months.
A bracket finals program is definitely something to consider for the bracket guy.
I can't believe there aren't more comments and post on this because this will effect everyone.Hat's off to effort involved.
Thanks for posting pbr

A short update from keystone

Keystone Raceway Park
3 hours ago
jpg_p50x50&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbb9e7&_nc_ohc=fyGR9P7vSFUAX-Q_f-f&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

WDRA is on the move! In one week, more than 30 tracks have signed on as members. That makes a big statement! Keystone Raceway, along with the other tracks, have made the decision to make the move for a number of reasons. After looking over the pros and cons, here are a few things that I liked personally:

First thing was for our customers, what changes would there be and benefits.

Answer: There would be no change in 2023 for our racers. No extra expenses to them for Keystone Raceway making the switch – current licenses and memberships to either HRA will be honored.

Knowing who the people involved are, and a sanctioning body with board members who understand racing on the local track level leading the way for the start of the new organization is very key. I know all of them, and a number of them on a personal friendship level. I know and respect them and how they operate, and the years of service they’ve devoted to our sport. These people are very reputable owners/promoters. With all of that, I feel very confident with programs and other things that could be brought to WDRA that will be beneficial for all of our local grass roots racers over the country. They are already working on other things to help race tracks as well. Potentially having discount programs in place for supplies and other things tracks use that could help save a track some money, will help everyone. These factors are some of the main reasons along with others that Keystone Raceway Park has made the choice of WDRA

Maybe I need to modify my car to do Index racing as well as bracket. I agree that bracket nights don't draw much of a crowd. Sad, but it is what it is.

I really wouldn’t say it’s even sad. We are living in a time where you can see a factory car with 500hp driving on the street every day. The big three are putting out cars with 600+ hp. Drag racing reality shows are a huge hit. I wasn’t alive in the 60s or 70s so I can’t tell you what the sport was like back then but there are a lot of young people interested in drag racing simply because of heads up stuff and it’s a fantastic time to be a gear head.

there are a lot of young people interested in drag racing simply because of heads up stuff and it’s a fantastic time to be a gear head.
I would be interested in heads up stuff too as long as I can afford it. They do a lot of 7.0 index around here on index nights so I would have to slow things down quite a bit. As long as I can do it just with tuning I'm willing to try. I am however not the least bit interested in no prep, which is probably the thing that gets butts in the seats.

I would be interested in heads up stuff too as long as I can afford it. They do a lot of 7.0 index around here on index nights so I would have to slow things down quite a bit. As long as I can do it just with tuning I'm willing to try. I am however not the least bit interested in no prep, which is probably the thing that gets butts in the seats.

7.0 stuff to me is about the same a super gas and super street stuff. And I used to laugh about it because guys traveled miles to run for less. Especially IHRA. As much as I disliked it I spent a bunch of money on a Biondo electric throttle stop (10.90 class) that still sits on my shelf. Looking at the schedule I would be sitting out a two week stretch so I bought and installed it for the IHRA race at keystone. As luck would have it I went up on Friday, tech’ed in, and first time trial ripped the center out of my powerglide flex plate. The next year IHRA canceled it and went bracket only. Lol

Index racing is really just bracket racing for fast cars. Just a bunch of dudes dialing 7.00 and playing games at the finish line.

Index racing is really just bracket racing for fast cars. Just a bunch of dudes dialing 7.00 and playing games at the finish line.

It’s generally on a pro tree, not full tree.
I have done a ton of index racing over the years, it’s by far the most fun I have ever had racing.
To me, it’s way different than bracket racing , and it’s definitely not limited to “ fast” cars.
95% of index stuff I have done has been 10.0 1/4 mile, and 11.50 1/4 mile. Neither are what I would call “fast”

-
Back