pot metal repair

-
Looks pretty cool. I would thinks it would be alot cheeper to just send out parts to only be rechromed, I know it costs alot to have pot metal repaired... I'm really going to find out when I get the 340-S done for my hood.

That would be ok for a few pits, but if you did that to something that had 100's of pits, it would take forever. Most platers use copper, then grind it down.

I heard that the maximum thickness of a copper coat was 6 thousanths of an inch, plus copper prices are insane right now.

Many car websites have posts lately saying that most shops don't want to do potmetal....they will quote 3 times higher just to get you to go away. Plus very few will give a gaurantee, as the acids used to strip the piece get into the porous metal and will bubble-up later. I guess that's why perfect 68-69 Dart taillight bezels & hood inserts bring whack money on ebay.

Long time ago, platers would drill out a pit and then pound soft solder into it & rebuff carefully. So that product might work better even if slower? So if you brought a part that was already filled, maybe they would tackle the job.

But how do you strip off the chrome yourself before you repair and send it out?

-
Back