Powder Coating engine parts

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Is there a problem with powder coating engine parts (like say with heat transfer of aluminum parts)? I've been thinking of have my (All parts are aluminum) Intake, Valve covers, Timing cover, water pump coated but was curious if this will cause exceed heat build up? Any help on this would be great.:burnout:

Leanna AKA Cuda Chick at Phoenix Specialty Coatings will tell you all you ever need to know about PC'n parts.

Pm her

Call Leanna top notch work and great customer service as well.
You will not be disappointed.

Have not had any issues with my powder coated intake.
Has 9,000 miles on it now.

Attachments

• DSCF2941 (Medium).jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 160
Thanks Roger, Corey and Hemi! :-D

All of those are on her website price list minus the water pump, because I assume there are soft rubber seals in it. Try her site and you can see some of her work as well. If link doesn't work I don't know why I copied it out of my browser.

http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/index.html

Wow Corey, I'll know who to hit up when I need an employee! :-D You've given out perfectly accurate information and are correct in your assumption on the seals. (There's also usually a bearing in there too that shouldn't be heated up either.) The only water pumps I'd recommend powder coating are just the housings of those that can be rebuilt with new internals.

Power steering pumps, air conditioning components, brake boosters and blower motors should also not be powder coated for the same reasons. Anything that cannot withstand 450 degrees is a bad candidate so rubber, plastic, fiberglass and Bondo-type metal fillers cannot be coated.

Generally speaking, unless your engine timing is so off that the heat is ridiculous, regular cosmetic powder coatings can be used on every external engine part except for exhaust components which should be ceramic coated with the proper high temp materials. (I have yet to coat a pair of heads but I'd be inclined to use high temp on them too.)

Aluminum looks gorgeous powder coated. Certain powder colors can look slightly different when shot on steel versus aluminum so if you have a special color scheme in mind, it's best to check out samples on both metals before you make a commitment.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can see literally hundreds of work samples all over my website on all kinds of metal, and even some personal feedback from Roger up there (he loved what I did with his patina lmao). I'm still working on Corey's parts so his own dazzle-fest is yet to come :-D.

Don't ever hesitate to give me a call if I can help you out or answer any other questions. It's what I'm here for!

-
Back