Powder Coating?????

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I have some questions in regards to powder coatings. I am interested in getting some parts powder coated and my questions are geared towards CudaChick.

I know it's supposed to be a durable coating but,

Are powder coatings resistant to chemicals?

Is powder coating scratch resistant or scratch proof?

Do they fade over time?

Not sure if this is correct but I thought I read somewhere that it is a plastic in the form of a powder, is that correct?

How thick of a coating is normally applied?

I know that it is backed on but can it be applied over body filler and will it have any issues?

from what i know
Chemicals will harm it (did a number on my valve covers)
It handles scratches better than paint but will scatch
It is thin like paint
It can not be applied over bondo

I have some questions in regards to powder coatings. I am interested in getting some parts powder coated and my questions are geared towards CudaChick.

Hi blackace! I'm always happy to answer questions but it's a lot easier to do so if I know they're here. LOL Sorry for the delay; I didn't see your thread until just now. For future reference, I don't get on the board every day so please send me a PM if you have follow ups and want a fast response.

I know it's supposed to be a durable coating but,

Are powder coatings resistant to chemicals?

For the most part, powder coatings are resistant to most automotive chemicals but you wouldn't want to soak your parts in them, just like you wouldn't soak painted parts in them and expect your paint to still look good.

Non-silicone based brake fluids [i.e., any that aren't labeled "DOT 5"], brake cleaners, carb cleaners and battery acids are all harsh chemicals that can theoretically harm cured powder if left to sit on powder coated parts. Sure, accidental spills happen now and then, but if it's cleaned up fairly quickly, it should not leave any lasting ill effects.

I've heard 'horror' stories over the years just like you have. Usually harsh chemicals will only dull a glossy finish, not completely remove them down to bare metal. Even chemicals specifically designed to remove tough finishes (like aircraft stripper or Paint & Powder Coating Remover) take a long time to work and aren't always effective.

For what it's worth, I TRIED to damage a little scrap coated piece as an experiment by leaving it in some nasty old Dot 3 brake fluid for a week. It didn't do a thing.

Is powder coating scratch resistant or scratch proof?

No finish is "scratch proof." But when the part is properly prepped and the powder is applied and cured per the manufacturer's instructions, it's a LOT tougher, lasts longer and is available in more colors and textures than paint. It can be marred or chipped if you hit it hard enough though.

Do they fade over time?

Not usually. But make sure your coater uses a powder that's UV stable (or sealed with a clear powder) if the part will be subjected to sunlight and/or the environment. Most powders for automotive use are already UV stable.

Powders are developed by where they're going to be used. Some are strictly for indoor applications, heavy use items (like outside hand railings), decorative items, automotive applications, industrial uses, etc. Epoxies and hybrids are generally not recommended for automotive use.

Some metallic-based powders require a clear coat to seal the finish because those powders actually have metal particles in them and can oxidize over time, requiring occasional polishing just like real metal does. Well, because it IS real metal. :-D

Certain clear coats can yellow too, but that is usually only when they're not applied and/or cured properly. Clears are touchy to work with.

Not sure if this is correct but I thought I read somewhere that it is a plastic in the form of a powder, is that correct?

Powders are comprised of many different ingredients but are generally urethane, polyurethane, polyester, acrylic or epoxy-based, or some hybrid combination of the above. Some are compatible with each other and some are not. So yes, they are basically made out of plastic.

How thick of a coating is normally applied?

It's only a few mils thick. Pro coaters use thickness gauges to make sure the coating is within normal tolerances for that particular powder / application. Factory logos and defects in the metal will NOT be filled in by powders in such a fashion as to completely obliterate them -- they'll still show up.

I know that it is backed on but can it be applied over body filler and will it have any issues?

No, I wouldn't recommend even trying to powder coat Bondo because it's not metal and the powder would have nothing to stick to.

Without addressing scientific explanations of the various types of powder guns out there, powder coatings are applied electrostatically, meaning the part itself is attached to a ground clip and the gun charges the powder with the opposite polarity so the powder is actually attracted to the part being powder coated. Kind of like how your magnetic retrieval tool grabs that bolt you dropped in the valley pan, but it also wants to grab all the other metal in the area.

Thank you for your questions and a really great, down-to-earth post! Don't ever hesitate to ask when you have more. That's what I'm here for. :love7:

Thanks Leanna! That was a very informative post! :thumbrig: :read2: The reason I didn't PM you about this in case any else may have had similar same questions or curious about what's involved in powder coating.

The reason I asked about body filler is because there are some parts that I am considering getting coated but are pitted. Will the coating fill in the pits?

Also, if I would send you parts to be coated do you recommend sending you the parts already prepped? Obviously I would assume there would be an extra cost involved to blast or clean the parts?

Blackace, I'm really glad you asked because, as you said, not everyone is familiar with the processes involved and there's no such thing as "too much information" regardless of the subject matter. I have to assume your part(s) has some cosmetic issue you want to fix before getting it coated.

Though body fillers are decent for skim coating the outside of your car for a perfect finish, they WILL NOT WORK under powder coating. I have addressed a term called "out gassing" on numerous occasions (usually in reference to pot metal and old used aluminum parts like an intake manifold). It can be either a noun or a verb depending on the context. Basically, it's what can happen when air bubbles and/or impurities get heated up when your part is getting powder coated.

Most everyone on this board has used plastic body filler at one time or another and knows how hard it is to get all those itty bitty air bubbles out. We all remember from science class that heated air expands and rises to the point of least resistance. Keeping that in mind, I'm going to compare plastic body filler with pot metal because the same thing can happen to both.

Without trying to violate any confidences, this is a copy/paste of an email I sent out earlier this week that will help illustrate out gassing. It's long, but necessary to understand what happens. (Ya'll already know I don't just answer questions. I tell you WHY too. :-D)

]"J***, as you may already know, the bezels and grilles on your 64 Galaxie are probably made out of pot metal. Sometimes pot metal can be coated and sometimes it cannot. Results are impossible to predict, and honestly sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

The problem with it is that it's comprised of lots of different types of metal (usually the left over crap LOL) all melted down into one, and then formed into a particular part. With all those different metals melted together, the result is a lot of impurities and air trapped within the part when it's formed.

During the preparatory process of powder coating, the part has to be heated up to a rather high temperature. Most of those impurities and trapped air are usually brought to the surface at that time so they create no additional problems. But sometimes all of it isn't removed no matter how hot you get it, and when the powder goes on and the part gets heated up to cure the powder, the leftover air and impurities come to the surface again. This is called "out gassing." The end result is that your part can look like it has a bunch of little teeny volcanoes on the surface. Sometimes there will be one or two and they won't be overly noticeable, but sometimes it will pretty much cover the entire part. It can also be so extreme at times that you can feel them when you run your hand over the finished part.

I've had both really great and really bad results when working with pot metal, and most coaters won't touch it with a ten-foot pole because of its unpredictability. You just never know what's going to happen until you try.

Some eras of pot metal are better than others (i.e., during war times, all the best metal goes towards ammunitions, tanks, etc., and the auto makers get stuck with the left overs). I can report that I've had fairly good luck when working with pot metal from the 60s and 70s (check out the Mustang and Six Pack emblems on my website gallery, and the Road Runner horn ring coated in Alien Silver for examples), but you still need to be fully aware of the possibility of outgassing before sending your grilles and bezels out to be coated. Assuming your parts will fit in my oven, I'd be happy to try but unfortunately couldn't offer any guarantees of fabulous results.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. But unlike some other shops, I'm not going to pull your lariat and tell you "Oh yes send it! I'll fix it!" when the very real potential exists for less-than-desireable results. (Guess I'm one of those rare ladies out there who's honest and isn't just after your wallet. :-D)

If you do want me to give it a shot -- after all, it's a 50/50 chance that it will work and they'll look good -- please forward a photo or two of your parts, as well as measurements (since I'm working with a smaller sized oven at the moment) when you get the chance and I'll get back to you with a quote. If you decide to send them to a "real" chrome shop to get them redone, I'd recommend my buddy Darrell at ChromeMasters in Nashville -- he does great work.

Thank you very much for your email and for the opportunity to earn your business. Don't hesitate to give me a call if you have any questions or want to discuss this further. And I'd enjoy seeing a photo of your baby too -- we just love our car **** around here. Thanks again!"
[/I][/INDENT][INDENT

In a nutshell, the same thing can and will happen if you try to powder coat over body filler. Even though both Bondo and powders are essentially made out of plastic, the heat's just too much for the filler and it will either blow up into a crater field and/or just fall out of the repaired area altogether.

But there's still some good news amidst all of this for your less-than-pristine car parts.

Permatex makes this awesome high temp metal filler -- called uhhhhhhh "High Temp Metal Filler" LOL -- that was originally formulated for exhaust leaks and is marketed to be good to 2000 degrees. It's a single stage (no mixing!), extremely easy to work with (though admittedly takes some practice to get all the little bubbles out just like Bondo), sets up fast, can be baked, and has proved to be pretty effective on some repairs I've done on customers' parts.

It is kind of expensive though, about $20 shipped for a little blister tube. Compared to the other fillers out there I've tried that were designed specifically for use under powder coating (like Lab Metal, Thermobond-3, etc. which suck in my opinion), I'll stick with my Permatex. Best price I've found is from Caswell Plating since I can't find or order it locally.

PERMATEX® Hi Temp. Metal Repair Compound ... Makes long-lasting repairs to high-temp, low pressure exhaust leaks from the exhaust manifold to the muffler. Gets stronger with heat up to 2000°F. One part, water-based ceramic is safe and easy to use. Suggested Applications: Cracked and broken exhaust manifolds, headers, furnaces. Product No. 26346

Just like with Bondo, it works best when used in several thin layers and allowed to set up in between than one thick one. It might still have a bit of outgassing but it's better looking than that half-inch long crack you were trying to repair. :)

Yes, the cleaner your parts are when they arrive here, the cheaper your bill will be. There's a lot of info on my website's Pricing & Shipping page [ http://phoenixs.dot5hosting.com/page4.html ] about this too. The prices listed DO include basic media blasting and a bunch of other services, but are ballpark guidelines since every job is quoted individually. (BronxMopars will recognize his ultra-spotless Cal Customs in my clean parts vs. dirty parts example photo and the bracket owner will remain safely anonymous. :-D)

what if you filled the pits with brass? like braze it all lol

so what would be a close estimate on the set, upper is just dented some(wavy in the center) i have 2 lowers, I have straightened and saved both, all tho 1 is better than the other. might even want my tail light housings done to match.
a local guy said $150 for the lower only, even w/ a little alum. welding on a split on the bad one. I might even be interested in parting w/ one of the lower ones, as they are hard to come by,(as you probably know)
sorry I didn`t P M you w/ this!------------------------thanks, bob

Not a problem on the non-P.M. Bob ... the in box is usually close to (or at) 100% capacity anyway and I'm never opposed to answering most questions in public since this is, ultimately, a DIY forum.

I quote every job individually to be fair to everyone. I presently bill at $25 an hour across the board (except for cure time of course) and offer FABO Gold Members a labor discount of 10%; non-Gold Members enjoy a 5% labor discount.

I'll tell you straight up that even with great discounts, trim restoration is very time consuming and tedious -- and, in my case (though it doesn't cost you more lol :-D), it takes me away from powder coating which is the main focus of my shop -- so it is typically extremely expensive, especially when there's severe damage to fix. With all the work involved, it's also not unusual for the final bill to be four figures.

Everyone knows "a picture is worth a thousand words," but unless I get detailed close ups of the dings, dents, damage and general nastiness I have to address then it's really tough to provide accurate estimates without seeing it for myself. My business email address is

[email protected]

Fall and winter are my busiest times of the year (though the warmer months are pretty much packed these days too :-D). At any given time, I have between 15 and 30 jobs here in line awaiting work and it's just me for the most part ... Billy helps with blasting / some prep, and handles shop maintenance and stuff but he doesn't do any finish work. I've got a Due Date Calendar and am balancing and trying to accommodate everyone's build schedules simultaneously.

For the last month, my life has been further complicated with some personal drama and upheaval with Billy's dad unexpectedly passing away, his 83-year old mom moving in with us out of the blue, trying to get literally years of their paperwork organized and ready for the probate attorney .... Billy and his mother loudly arguing right now out in the living room as I sit here trying to concentrate and type this (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr) ......... :wack:

Anyway, you get the idea. Basically I'm wayyyyy behind right now even more so than usual, with tons of stupid 'emergencies' and seemingly daily outside drama on top of everything else, so I hope you aren't in a big hurry. LOL Shoot me some decent pics of your trunk trim and send me an email when you can and I'll get back to you with an estimate. Thanks for posting and for your understanding of the current situation.

LOL! I can't in good conscience agree with you on that one Hemi. Lately it seems I couldn't find my backside with both hands :-D

LOL! I can't in good conscience agree with you on that one Hemi. Lately it seems I couldn't find my backside with both hands :-D

That's what happens when you "work it off". If you weren't so good you would have no problem! LOL

-
Back