Powdercoat Bakelite. ?????

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to powder coat this with regular paint or chrome paint but fear that it will be too much heat. I plan on a light sanding degreasing. How hot is the powdercoat “oven” ???
It’s my shifter for my Hurst reverse manual body

5F6B4FB4-B677-486C-9AC7-A237417BA84B.jpeg

I think 392 degrees F. for 8 min, or less heat for longer time.

Here is what I found online 200-230 C max temp for

Bakelite or polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, is pretty tough stuff.

It's all online if you look.

Last edited:
You sure that's bakelite? It's most likely a thermoplastic. 65'

If the object can withstand the heat for powder coating...your half way there. Preheat the object in the oven, remove and spray with powder coating and then return to the oven for final coating melt.

The part just needs a static charge on it for the powder to adhere. You can charge the heck out if it by rubbing it on a wool blanket. If you shoot powder coat , it won't stick as its not wet. It needs to attract the powder. Leanne would know. You can also paint it with a conductive paint for the electric clip to work on.

Looks okay as is to me. Awesome shift knob for a car with a linelock and a transbrake!
Yeah at this point I will probably get a friend to polish it. You’re right it looks pretty good as is. One button will be a line lock and one will be for a tailpipe flame thrower. I have 7 monetary switches available and I will figure out a use for most of them. I read up on it and I have figured out how to shoot purple flames.!!!!!

Yeah at this point I will probably get a friend to polish it. You’re right it looks pretty good as is. One button will be a line lock and one will be for a tailpipe flame thrower. I have 7 monetary switches available and I will figure out a use for most of them. I read up on it and I have figured out how to shoot purple flames.!!!!!
Machine guns would be awesome. Brooks James Bond!:lol:

-
Back