Power Brake booster hose location?

-

wes beem

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but I've never had a power brake classic before.

Where does the brake booster vaccume hose go to on the motor? Intake? Carb? Valve Cover?

Post some photos of the top rear of your intake and carb.

Your intake may not have been drilled for a booster.

Your carm MIGHT have a manifold vacuum port.

Dont have the carb yet.

331144069_504127441674881_8019859862648549046_n.jpg

331446746_849803162780503_3105683469620175327_n.jpg

329367604_1603602220103215_76242898880044222_n.jpg

2 possible manifold ports that I can see.

Screenshot_20230222-195720.png

Screenshot_20230222-195649.png

If neither is a manifold vac port you might have to use one of these.

Screenshot_20230222-200012.png

Or dump the power brakes. Totally not needed on an A body

all the Edelbrock carbs have a power brake tap in the back of the carb at the base - usually closed off with an allen wrench plug if not used

Take the plug out of the first one pictured and use it for the power brake vacuum port and put that plug in the second one pictured or you'll have a water leak.
That other hole is just an LA pattern bolt hole. This intake is drilled for magnum and LA

Or dump the power brakes. Totally not needed on an A body
Not sure why this is a thing thats still being pushed on here. Everyone's situation is different. Maybe they don't want to deal with manual brakes on a car that already has power (why get rid of something that works and makes life easier) might be a pro-touring build with 6 piston calipers and large wheels&tires.

Not sure why this is a thing thats still being pushed on here. Everyone's situation is different
Yes you are correct, I was just offering options. Some people think that all cars need power because they have never driven a non power car.

Not sure why this is a thing thats still being pushed on here. Everyone's situation is different. Maybe they don't want to deal with manual brakes on a car that already has power (why get rid of something that works and makes life easier) might be a pro-touring build with 6 piston calipers and large wheels&tires.

In my case, the entire brake system had to be completely redone anyway, the car was originally small bolt pattern drums all around with the crappy 7 1/4" rearend, and the Power kit was only 100$ more than the manual kit at the time. That being said, after all the issues and stuff dealing with the power brakes, if i had it to do over i 10/10 woulda left it Manual because there was nothing wrong with my manual disc 70 Dart i had back in the day.

Every Mopar I have seen with Power Brakes the hose was connected to a port on the intake manifold.
Power Brake Hose.jpg

Alan

In my case, the entire brake system had to be completely redone anyway, the car was originally small bolt pattern drums all around with the crappy 7 1/4" rearend, and the Power kit was only 100$ more than the manual kit at the time. That being said, after all the issues and stuff dealing with the power brakes, if i had it to do over i 10/10 woulda left it Manual because there was nothing wrong with my manual disc 70 Dart i had back in the day.
What sort of problems are you having with your power brakes? My mom wants me to add power brakes to the 69 Charger... She hurt her ACL a few years back and using manual brakes just isnt something she finds enjoyable at this point in life.

My mom wants me to add power brakes to the 69 Charger... She hurt her ACL a few years back and using manual brakes just isnt something she finds enjoyable at this point in life
Now that is a very valid reason to add power.

What sort of problems are you having with your power brakes? My mom wants me to add power brakes to the 69 Charger... She hurt her ACL a few years back and using manual brakes just isnt something she finds enjoyable at this point in life.
Firstly, All of the "direct fit" Lines are NOT direct fit....wrong thread pitch fittings for master cylinder....then had to cut the ends off and have new ones flared, then those leaked everywhere, also couldnt find anyone who made lines for DISCS in the rear so had to cut and modify again to try to get drum ones to work, both of those leaking fluid too due to the stainless lines not taking a flare worth a damn. I wish i would have left it manual front, drum rear and just full sent it with a classic industries oem line kit and been done with it. Also, with the added bulk of the booster, it makes working in the driver side of engine bay a real pain in the rear. I just dont know that the bennefit of power brakes is going to be worth all the extra hassle and hidden costs. To be determined once its drivable, but i know my dart had NO issues stopping under duress. Zanesville people love to run stopsigns and redlights and pull out in front of you then slam on the brakes when they see you to make sure you T bone their ***...

I wish i would have left it manual
As my dad always said...

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble.

I feel for you.

But it's not to late to go back.

And while everything is exposed will make it much easier!

As my dad always said...

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble.

I feel for you.

But it's not to late to go back.

And while everything is exposed will make it much easier!
my 70 dart was significantly easier. bought a brake line kit off ebay, stuck it on. Put in a new master cylinder. bled it, done.

-
Back