Power brake swap

-

NorthernMainer

Reaction score
So I want to convert my car to power brakes. Car is a 76 Dart 4 door l6. It already has front disc. I've been told just to buy the power brake booster, and matching master. My question is, where do I tie into for vacuum for the booster?

Somewhere on the intake is a pipe plug. Remove it. And add the line to that location.

You can retain your existing master.
I have the right booster, brackets, linkage and vacuum nipple for that car..can do for $125 plus shipping.
Good OE parts, NOT the Chinese GM based setup they sell on Ebay

What is your reason for wanting power brakes?

They don’t add any stopping power, they just make the pedal easier to push (which is fine if that’s all you want to accomplish). But, if you use a 15/16” master cylinder the brake effort isn’t bad at all (IMO anyway) and you have better/more accurate brake feel and modulation.

I’ve had power brakes on these cars, and am happier now that I’ve converted them to manual with a 15/16” bore master cylinder. Obviously just my opinion.

What is your reason for wanting power brakes?

They don’t add any stopping power, they just make the pedal easier to push (which is fine if that’s all you want to accomplish). But, if you use a 15/16” master cylinder the brake effort isn’t bad at all (IMO anyway) and you have better/more accurate brake feel and modulation.

I’ve had power brakes on these cars, and am happier now that I’ve converted them to manual with a 15/16” bore master cylinder. Obviously just my opinion.

My opinion, too. My Scamp is power disc and my '63 is manual disc with a 15/16" bore master for a '73 Duster. Like the pedal feel better in the '63.

I just want power brakes that's all. I haven't driven this car in 10 or so years, but I remember I did not like the manual brakes. Easy enough to swap.

you will have to get the brackets and rod set up that goes between the booster and firewall. tony,white punk on nitro, is the man to go to. he will set you up right. i changed my dart over to power brakes. not that it made my brakes any better, but like you, i just wanted power brakes. am happy with the results. also, you will have to extend your brake lines to your master. dave.

-
Back