power lock, trac lok, spool etc.

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
I think I might need to do something to my dana 60 rear end. I was checking the fit on some diff. rims, when reinstalling the 295 drag radials, and noticed I could turn the drivers side wheel back wards w/o the other wheel turning, the car was in park, jacked up off the floor. That doesn`t sound right to me, Ive always ran lockers and spools in my other hot rods, and never had this happen. this was supposed to be a Detroit locker when I ordered it, about 6 yrs ago, probly too late to do anything about it now ! what would be the best thing for traction w/o going to a spool? will be driven mostly on the street, w/ maybe a mopar meet once in a while.
any thots from u guys that are rear end experts chime in > truck dana 60 shortened to 1" shorter than an a body, on offset spring hangars , disc brake set up, caqltrac system. thanks bob

The powerlock unit is stronger than the tracklock. I'd see if Dr Diff (Cass) has any powerlocks in stock and go that route.

The Detroit unit unlocks when force is applied more to one side than the other. What you did was perfectly normal operation for a Detroit unit.

The Detroit units lock when force is applied to the drive shaft and both tires have an equal amount of traction, that's when the unit locks and it remains locked while power is applied, as in going down the drag strip.

You told the unit to unlock when you grabbed one tire and rotated it. That's the two extremes of a Detroit unit. It is either a spool while locked under power, or an open differential going around turns. It would remain locked around a turn if enough power was applied, but most people don't drive on the street like that. lol

The Detroit unit unlocks when force is applied more to one side than the other. What you did was perfectly normal operation for a Detroit unit.

The Detroit units lock when force is applied to the drive shaft and both tires have an equal amount of traction, that's when the unit locks and it remains locked while power is applied, as in going down the drag strip.

You told the unit to unlock when you grabbed one tire and rotated it. That's the two extremes of a Detroit unit. It is either a spool while locked under power, or an open differential going around turns. It would remain locked around a turn if enough power was applied, but most people don't drive on the street like that. lol
thanks guys. the last Detroit locker I had in a 406 gmc, made a some noise when going around a corner (unlocked). like rusty said if u gave it the gas it would lock up and slip the truck side ways. I haven`t noticed the noise w/ this car, altho its a little louder than the 406. Guess I`m going to check it out further, hope it proves to be a locker!

Maybe you have a Detroit True-Trac. They are completely silent and act like an open differential when the tires are un-loaded.

yeah, he usually is. like I said I hope its the locker , but having doubts because of the lack of noise. will check it out next week.

Hell I wish that was true. lol

-
Back