Power steeing issues, please help!

-

cudaguy65

Reaction score
65 Cuda, new power steering system installed. Finally about to take car out on road for 1st time since rebuilding the entire car and the power steering basically stops and jerks at about a 1/4 turn both directions. When the car is on stands the steering turns smoothly with 3 full rotations till full stop. But when we put the car on ground with full load, the wheel only turns a bit and sounds like it does when at normal full stop and fluid leaks out the top of pump reservoir. Also now when the car is on Jack's, the wheel turns on it own to the right after we tried replacing the high pressure valve on gearbox, but also the no turn radius still present also. Any help would be so helpful and appreciated.

Almost sounds like a blockage in the high pressure side
What prompted you to change out the valve?

Where did you get your system? Is it a new gear and a new pump?

Almost sounds like a blockage in the high pressure side
What prompted you to change out the valve?

Where did you get your system? Is it a new gear and a new pump?
It's actually my 75 year old dad's car that we are rebuilding together, so I'll ask him where he get the system. But yes it's all new, including gearbox and pump. The reason we tried changing the valve was because we had an extra and this issue happened a month ago before another fuel tank issue stopped us again from road ready, and we were able to tap on the valve with a small hammer while turning wheen back and fourth. Almost like the process of bleeding air out, we found a video from old mopar site and the steering issue went away. So we thought we fixed that issue, then after replacing the fuel tank and other things, we were ready to get it out today and the steering issue reappeared! So we decided to swap valve thinking possibly bad. And now the wheel turns to the right on its own when on Jack's, but when on ground, we still have no wheel movement barely. Tomorrow I will get a video to better help understand what actually happens.

The valve adjustment will cause the wheel to turn on its own. To adjust it, put the front end on jackstands. Then loosen the bolts just a little. Tap the valve slightly to get the wheel to hold steady in the center, then tighten. Definitely keep hands and arms away from the steering wheel. Thousandths of an inch will make a big difference. It's a very touchy valve. I just took my time and eventually I got it to stop!!

After replacing seals in my oem power steering gear and pump andstill having leaks, I ended up sending them to Steer and Gear for a rebuild.

-
Back