power steering pump questions

-

ppsi

Reaction score
I am cleaning some parts in anticipation of converting my 65 Dart to PS. I have had 2 pumps for a couple of years. They both have the round filler neck (Federal?) but they are not the same internally. One is an early version such as an original 65 and the other is a later version that matches the one in my 1970 Challenger FSM. They both appear to be 1.06 so does it matter if I use the newer style? I couldn't find a reseal kit for the old one but I have one for the 1970 version and I took it apart and it looks fine for resealing. I took the pulley off the older one and it will go right on the newer style so if anyone sees a problem please let me know otherwise I will reseal it and put it aside until I can do the conversion.
Thanks-Howard

Great!
Now I have run across another question. I have an after market A/C and would love some input on what bracket to use to mount the pump. Anyone have advice or should I post this question in another post>
Thanks-Howard

............Should b good 2 go.............kim..........

for the A/C I would think a 87[~] dodge P/U or van. I would check the salvage yard and see if these brackets would work. If not, slight modification may make them usable. HOWEVER,...........
depends on what pump you have. Im assuming either a Nippendenso or a Sanden Pump.
If the system uses an old style York {FORD} then It would not help you.

I have an after market A/C and would love some input on what bracket to use to mount the pump.

What kind of engine is in your '65? Is it a slant-6 or a V8? And what kind of compressor does your aftermarket A/C setup have? The brick-shaped York/Tecumseh, or a round Sanden/Sankyo/Seltec?

The A/C compressor is a Sanden unit and the motor is a 225 slant. I rebuilt a 70's era pump only to find out that the pulley from the older style Federal pump has a bore that is larger than the newer style-newly rebuilt pump so I need a pulley for the newer style Federal pump. I pulled the pulley off the older pump because I couldn't get a rebuild kit for it however I was able to get a rebuild kit for the newer style which I put to sue only to find out the shafts & pulleys are not compatible. I also do not have the the bracket for the newly rebuilt pump. I have about every damn bracket for the A/C, alternator & PS pump except for the one that mounts to the pump itself and, again, the mounting brackets for the older and newer style Federal pumps are not the same. I have a good PS gear box and pitman arm but am stuck without having to fabricate a pump bracket and find the proper pulley OR find a rebuild kit for the old style pump and start that process all over.
Thanks-Howard

yup, youll need to do some junkyard scrounging. Id say a van with a slant from the mid 80's but this is only a place to start looking. Clearance problems may arise with the early A body. It is getting harder to find the slant powered vehicles in the yards so you may have to get a little "creative". Good luck. I remember putting P/S in my 64 dart but there were a bunch a slant A bodies in the yards to pick from. Nowadays, not so much. Where do you live, I'll look though my box of slant stash. (some on this site are bound to have what you need.)

Yeah-the last place that had any old vehicles burned up about 2 years ago so any parts I need have to come from club members etc. I was surprised to find out no auto stores have a rebuild kit for the older style pump. I am in no great hurry so I am sure I will come up with what I need in due time. No matter what I get I will have to fabricate some brackets because of the combination of PS & A/C.
Thanks-Howard

-
Back