Power Steering Pump

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Which power steering pumps came with the attached reservoir? I'm looking for a power steering pump that'll work with the car motor.

I'm thinking the Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.1L has the pump and reservoir in one.

Anyone know if any of the LX motors came with the reservoir attached to the pump?

Riddler

Which power steering pumps came with the attached reservoir? I'm looking for a power steering pump that'll work with the car motor.

I'm thinking the Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.1L has the pump and reservoir in one.

Anyone know if any of the LX motors came with the reservoir attached to the pump?

Riddler
I dont know if you figured it out or not but my 04 ram has the attached reservoir on it. if that helps you any.

Yeah the truck accessories won't work as I'm trying to swap over to the car accessories. Apparently the Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L has what I'm looking for. I just need to find and take a look.

Riddler

You are correct about the grand cherokee pump having the reservoir on the pump.
The 5.7 part number is 52089883AD
There is a picture of a 6.1 one on page 21 of the August 2010 issue of Car Craft.
The 6.1 part number is 5290778AA
The 6.1 pump is amost $100 dollars more. I did a quick check at Mopar Parts America and the 5.7 is $85.50 and the 6.1 is $171.53

So the Cherokee pumps have the resivoir mounted to them. This is confirmed. Now when you say 5.7 and 6.1 do you mean just cherokee pumps? Do these pumps work with the car front cover or the truck?

I'm hoping car.

Riddler

Yes those are the Grand Cherokee pumps.

I checked the part numbers for the 2006 front cover listed in the parts catalog I downloaded from Mopar Parts America and they are the same as the car. The weird thing is the 6.1 cover pn 4792795AC costs less ($56.81) and is the same part number as a 2005 5.7 car cover while the 5.7 cover pn 4792795AD costs more ($90.34) and is the same part number as 2006-2008 cars. I have no idea what the difference might be.

You can download lots of different parts catalogs on their website for free. http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/pages/index.cfm?action=viewPage&siteid=214583&pageid=10218
All you have to do is register to access them.

I have ordered some parts there as well. They are cheaper than the local dealer and I don't have to try to explain how I'm putting a 5.7 from an 05 truck into a duster.

There is a picture of a 6.1 one on page 21 of the August 2010 issue of Car Craft.

I don't get Car Craft....does anyone have a picture of this pump?

I found a few pictures from around the internet....

5.7L with the black resivoir...
0910_4wd_02_z+2009_jeep_grand_cherokee+hemi_v8_engine.jpg

6.1L with a white/clear resivoir...
2009jeepgrandcherokeesrt8hemiengine01small.jpg

Riddler

The one in Car Craft looks just like one with a white reservoir in the picture you posted.

not to jack, but did people find a way to make power steering work in an A-body for a hemi swap?? Thats what was stopping from looking into a swap

Yes power steering works in an A-body with a hemi swap. If you want to use the stock PS box from the Abody you'll need to purchase a PS pump from Street and Performance.

You can use the Hemi PS pump with the alterkation rack and pinion that most of us are using.

Riddler

Yes power steering works in an A-body with a hemi swap. If you want to use the stock PS box from the Abody you'll need to purchase a PS pump from Street and Performance.

You can use the Hemi PS pump with the alterkation rack and pinion that most of us are using.

Riddler

I have not seen anyone fit the stock power box with a hemi in an A body. I thought the only way to get power steering is to use the alterkation.
Do you have any pictures or know anyone that has successfully fit the new hemi with the stock power box in an A body?

IT might have been a B body or E body...can't remember seeing an A body yet. Although maybe..

Anyway I found out why the 6.1L pump is more money, comes with the resivior in one peice. Resivior is not serviced.

The 5.7L pump does not come with the resivior. It has a service number and can be ordered and bolted onto the pump.

Riddler

-
Back