Power Steering Woes... :(

-

JamesRR

Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda that is leaking fluid pretty badly from the power steering box. Bought a replacement from a gentleman on here that had no problems. Actually looked at what kind of job this is going to be swapping them and I am sad. The car has a 360 with headers that have been banged in a bit to BARELY clear the steering box. I have never seen these headers before so I dont know what they are. They are not like the spitfire headers at all. I am familiar with those. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about this? Anyone had space issues? Its brutal.

J :banghead:

Well I have never had any luck with power steering . Have you thought of doing away with it ? Alot less to go wrong . But a bit harder to drive im used to no power steering tho , Or stock manafolds would make more room in there too . Btw i hate headers Had some on a duster and you had to pull them to change the starter . A pic would help more with out one Im shooting blind here

I had to change my PS gear box with TTI headers.

I moved the steering column back, Removed PS pump and hoses(I need to change mine), removed DS torsion bar, unhooked Pitman arm, Removed Center Link, loosened motor mounts, jacked up the engine via the oil pan (using a 2X6 between the jack and oil pan, removed the 3 bolts holding the box in and removed the gear box from underneath the car.

Its been a few years since I did it so I hope I didn't forget anything but this should give you a good start.

I recently had things apart on my 66 Barracuda, and pulled the power box to change seals. At the time the heads, starter and exhaust was off. I was able to get it out with gravity my side. With sore shoulders, I gave up trying to get it back in. I did like Scuba, and pulled tbar. And went ahead and replaced the strut rod bushings. When I was done, I said prayers and thought of those that first assembled it. No leaks, so I was happy.

On my 73' Duster all I had to do was disconnect the steering coupler and the steering shaft simply slid back a couple of inches towards the firewall. MY PAW 99 dollar headers sit pretty close to my box as well but did not have problems installing them with box in place if memory serves so that means it should come out without dropping the header. Will yours? You get the joy of figuring it out:)

Never had any heat related problems with my box from headers, do what it takes to get the job done and keep the power steering. I prefer to get my work out at the gym not behind the wheel.

Pretty much anything you have to do on these cars around the headers is challenging. Still beats running A-body manifolds.

Also, if it's just leaking around the pitman shaft you probably could change that seal out with the box in the car.

I have a 66 Barracuda that is leaking fluid pretty badly from the power steering box. .... (much snippage) ... Anyone had space issues? Its brutal.

J :banghead:

Anyone who has worked on a pre '67 A body has confronted those space issues. Lots of the '67 & later folks just don't appreciate that extra inch and a half (I think) of width.
Good advice above, especially about changing that seal with the box mounted.
Early A bodies - ya gotta love 'em!

ATB

BC

I had enough trouble getting the rebuilt p.s. gear into my 65 Dart 273 w/ factory exhaust manifold. I had to jack up that side of the engine 2" to work it in, and scraped off some of the new paint. The weight sure doesn't make it easy. They really jammed the V-8's into the early-A's. A mini-starter is smart.

-
Back