Power to Manual Brakes

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have decided to convert my 1973 Dart 340 Sport over to manual brakes from power. I ordered a Fenco NM1627 master cylinder for a manual brake system, and an adjustable master cylinder push-rod package from Mancini.

After removing the existing master cylinder and the power-brake diaphragm I realize that I will definitely have to replace the brake lines from the new master cylinder to the proportioning valve.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding vendors? Also, does anyone who has done this have any suggestions?

Thanx!!!

I would give Year One a call or check their online catalog. You could always buy a cheap bender and make your own too.

I have thought about trying the "bending thing". I'm sure that while it looks complex, it's not rocket science! Question: do the bending kits come with a flaring tool for the ends?

The ones I have seen dont. I just got a little black bender made of cast aluminum I think. The flaring too I would think you would get separately. You may be able to find a brake line close enough to the length you need that will already have the ends flared and the threaded ends too.

Have you made lines? Is the cost savings significant? Half the fun of bending would b!e actually "doing it"

I have bent quite a few. The tool is pretty cheap in my opinion and from the looks of the prices a Year One, I feel like I'm saving money. I bent some up on my bosses 67 C-10 (I know its a Chevy) because we couldnt get all the ones that were supposed to fit to sit on the axle right. That was just too frustrating so we went and bent up our own. I think a lot of times they get bent during shipping and arent exactly right when you get them. For the ones you need, I would bend a metal coat hanger to the shape you want and then transfer it to the line.

-
Back