PPG clearcoat?

-

JeepJimmy

Reaction score
using DBC basecoat... either going to use PPG 2021 or the PPG SHOPLINE clear or the omni... on the 68 panther pink dart im restoring for my mom. not sure what to choose. i have never sprayed these clears.. only used martin senour clears over DBC and rather use PPG all. any thought and opinions?????

also... will be spraying in my shop.. not a booth.

I've used the Shopline, it sprays pretty nice. I've never used the 2021 but the Omni stinks so bad I hope I never have to use any of it again.
Dallas

I shoot PPG 2002 clear frequently. Great stuff... shoot it wet and go a bit hotter on the reducer for the existing temperature..... helps with the flow out.

I'd use the Shopline JC630 clear, using the jh6380 hardener for better flow. 3-4 coats wetsand and buff. This stuff buffs like butter... I'm not a big fan of the 2021. I work for a PPG distributor and used most of the clears we sell. The 630 dries quickly without baking to get you out of dirt pretty quick..
It's a 4-1 mix so I'd get 2 gallons for the job. Less than $100 for the clear and hardener..

Bob

I use 2021 on all the cars i restore, it is what i prefer. it's a great choice and it buff's easy. Here are a few examples, all 2021 clear.

e77b6dbba5_640.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1888.jpg

sc005205fd.jpg

We've gone to PPG Shop-Line 661 Clear............Great stuff, and saves us a little dough.....but no sacrifice on gloss or quality. Leave it "wet", or buff it out..............your choice. A great choice. 8)

interesting. so many different ideas! hehe im thinking the shopline will be more thinner?? requiring more like said to get two gallons...

Thinner???? Not really, just don't think 5 sprayable quarts are enough to put on 3 good coats....If you wetsand and buff, not just nib sand, you'll be losing a coat... The 661 is 2-1 or 6qts sprayable, that should do the job.. I have alot of jobs out there with the 661. It's a nice clear also, but after using the 630 it's my choice. 661 is acrylic urethane, 630 is polyurethane, like DCU2002

Bob

the euor classic? im still thinking i should stick with PPG 2021 over the PPG base.. how much is the transtar compared to the 2021 i was quoted 220 for a gallon of 2021 and hardner...

alleyoop how much you think i need for the outside of the 68 dart in 2021??? im sure the "Cheaper" stuff would require more material?

We use Transtar clear at my shop.

I didn't mention it in my first reply but I use Transtar 95% of the time. I like it as well as any of the higher dollar stuff I've used. I haven't had any problems and I've used it for a few yeas now.
Dallas

the euor classic? im still thinking i should stick with PPG 2021 over the PPG base.. how much is the transtar compared to the 2021 i was quoted 220 for a gallon of 2021 and hardner...

A gal of 2021 and the hardener is $300 here in Phoenix. The Transtar is $190 with the activator.

i think they give us jobber price.

i see you guys like the transtar but i cant get it locally and im thinking id rather stick with PPG on PPG and use the 2021 im leaning towards for the higher solids.. and for some reason id be using less and getting more if that makes sense! maybe im crazy i dunno heh

alleyoop how much you think i need for the outside of the 68 dart in 2021??? im sure the "Cheaper" stuff would require more material?

You could probably get away with one gallon of clear, it would give you 2 coats. When i clear a car i put on 4 or 5 coats, so i use about 2 gallons of clear, maybe a little more. I know alot of guys have talked about Transtar clear, but i have heard to many horror stories about it. Like chalking out or dieback or the clear hazing. I have never used the stuff myself, just heard stories. I have used Shopline and Omni clear, and that seems to work ok if your looking to save a few bucks. My feeling is it's your car, do what you want. I just know what works for me, and it works well.

A gal 2021, hardener and qt reducer $295+tax out of my store..
6qts sprayable
Shopline jc630/hardener $97+tax 5qts sprayable

INTERESTING... hope its warm enough this weekend... looks like maybe a high of 60.

-
Back