Prep work question

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
I just bought a 67 Cuda notch back. The question is: It's already primered but has some surface rust on the car nothing serious, no bubbling or see through rust. I'm having the outside of the car soda blasted and towed to a garage where it will have a 5.7 installed. After the car is blasted, I was told to put etching primer (omni) followed by PPG primer #K38. I have no prior experience painting and wondering how hard it would be to put these primers on. The reason I am primering it, is so bare metal isn't exposed for the 3 months that the car will be worked on. After the engine is finished, I will be taking it to a professional painter to have them block sand and paint it.

What kind of spray gun should I use? Electric or air?

Will this make more or less work for the painter?

Are these the right kind of primers to use?

JAson

70dart said:
Use epoxy primer it is a rust inhibitor.

Whats the difference between etching and epoxy primer? Are these the first primer to go on? I was told this etching primer was clear......sorry for all the questions. I'm not trying to do a whole lot here...I just wanted to preserve her for the next 6 mo. till I get her to a real body shop guy that can block sand it and paint it.

Jason

I have used both the epoxy and the self etching primers. The self etching stuff is thin and easily scratched. Usually Vomit Green in color. The Epoxy stuff is my favorite after using it, just once. I wish I had used it from the start. It's a much thicker build up, more scratch resistant, forms a "virtual" shell on the metal. It's also available in White which can be tinted somewhere close to your finish color, saving you work in the long run. Only down side to it is how much $$$ it is.

Hope this Helps. Eric

I would just go with the epoxy primer for now and wait till ready to paint before any other primer. Epoxy primer is more water resistant than etching primer. But I would think you would want to paint the car before you put the engine in, that way the engine bay can be painted. Or at least paint the enging bay then have motor put in then paint the rest of the car.

Eric_S68 said:
I have used both the epoxy and the self etching primers. The self etching stuff is thin and easily scratched. Usually Vomit Green in color. The Epoxy stuff is my favorite after using it, just once. I wish I had used it from the start. It's a much thicker build up, more scratch resistant, forms a "virtual" shell on the metal. It's also available in White which can be tinted somewhere close to your finish color, saving you work in the long run. Only down side to it is how much $$$ it is.

Hope this Helps. Eric

Thanks Eric, that does help.....I called a body shop that restores old Mopars and they told me if I get the car sodablasted to bare metal then I should use...Omni Etching primer then PPG primer #K38. Thats two different primers, ur saying only use the epoxy primer? Can I use epoxxy inplace of the etching then apply the PPG?

If I only use epoxy will it last untill I by itself for 6 mo in a garage? I'm not gonna be doing any sanding to the car...I'll leave that up to the painter.

Jason

HemiPar said:
I would just go with the epoxy primer for now and wait till ready to paint before any other primer. Epoxy primer is more water resistant than etching primer. But I would think you would want to paint the car before you put the engine in, that way the engine bay can be painted. Or at least paint the enging bay then have motor put in then paint the rest of the car.
I wish it would work out that way as well...I'm having a 5.7L installed in Houston. After that I'm bringing that car to corpus christi where I live. There it will be painted.

Jason, with the Epoxy primer, Just spray it on. I think it will be much more durable for what U are thinking. You use EITHER the self etch or the epoxy, not both.
Basically it goes,
1) Sodablast car
2) Epoxy Primer
3) Bodywork, fillers etc.
4) "Fill N Sand" Primer--- Probably that PPG#38 you mentioned
5) Block Sand
6) Color coat
7) Clear coat

Eric_S68 said:
Jason, with the Epoxy primer, Just spray it on. I think it will be much more durable for what U are thinking. You use EITHER the self etch or the epoxy, not both.
Basically it goes,
1) Sodablast car
2) Epoxy Primer
3) Bodywork, fillers etc.
4) "Fill N Sand" Primer--- Probably that PPG#38 you mentioned
5) Block Sand
6) Color coat
7) Clear coat

This post right here is exactly what I needed! Next Question.....What kinda of epoxy primer should I buy? Is this stuff have for a 1st timer to apply? Can I rent a gun to apply it?

Jason

Eric_S68 said:
Glad I could help Jason. There's basically only one kind of epoxy primer. Just go to your local auto body shop supply store and ask for it. They'll know what to give you. It's basically mix can A with can B n spray it. For a cheap spray paint gun ... I used this one for my car. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43430

Cool...This stuff is ok to use on bare metal and will last a few month as well? Will this primer be tough to spray? meaning does it go on smooth so a rookie like myself can spray it? What PSI should I run that gun at? Will that epoxy primer be ok for any filler primer the body guy need to apply later down the road? I'm not doing any dent removal before the application either so my body guy might have to beat on the metal or not will this primer hold up top that? Sorry for all the questions\\

Jason

-
Back