preserving carbs

-

TheDeputy

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I just bought a complete six pack intake with good used carbs. It came from a running engine, and it doesn't look loke it's made a lot of miles.

I want to install it on a 408 I'd lik to build but that may take a few years to complete.

How can I preserve the carbs so I won't have to rebuild them from drying out? I've bee thinking about squirting it full of WD40.

Any other, better, ideas?

Thanks,

Antoon

I would drain them dry, open up the bowls, give them a bath in carb cleaner and let them air out. Beside to seal them up inside a bag or box and keep them stored in a safe place.

I would drain them dry, open up the bowls, give them a bath in carb cleaner and let them air out. Beside to seal them up inside a bag or box and keep them stored in a safe place.

X2 and I'd store them in the house or a temp controlled environment.

Cool score :thumbup:

as long as the carbs do not have the old style cork gasket that shrink with age or from drying out.......you should be ok...

Hi gang,

I just bought a complete six pack intake with good used carbs. It came from a running engine, and it doesn't look loke it's made a lot of miles.

I want to install it on a 408 I'd lik to build but that may take a few years to complete.

How can I preserve the carbs so I won't have to rebuild them from drying out? I've bee thinking about squirting it full of WD40.

Any other, better, ideas?

Thanks,

Antoon

Been down this road Sir, (preserving an original Carter Comp 600 cfm 4bbl).

different carb, same procedure however...

You will need (with those carbs) 2 pints of STA-BIL fuel storage addative.

1)tip the carbs upside down (in an container) let them drain.
2)right side up, work the linkage to remove residual fuel from the accel
pump bore.
3) Fill the fuel bowls through the bowl vent tube with Sta-Bil, again work the linkage, after about 10-12 cycles ...'most' of the power circuit will be
clear of the dreaded environmentally safe panther pee fuel (lol).
4)Then (liberally) pour Sta-Bil (at least 2-3 ounces) into any 'vacuum bag'
of choice, and seal.
5) As already Stated... ROOM TEMP (read controlled environment) is Your
ally for storage.

6) Sooo... how did this work out for Me...??
Had to replace the accel pump boot/cup/umbrella.

---4 years later---

Hope this Helps, and as ALWAYS, consummate respects to the Lasses & Lads

Thanks for the advise. I hope I can get that stuff or similar around here.....

Best regards,

Antoon

-
Back