priming the oil pump after storage

-

ratvon

Reaction score
Every spring I change the oil on my big blocks and I take out the distributor and intermediate shaft and prime the oil system ,its a lot of hassle, and was wondering what everyone else does. Is this overkill?

Probably nothing wrong with what your doing, but I can understand the hassle.
I do change the oil in the fall, so engine does not sit over winter with old oil on the bearings.
Me...I make sure the engine will fire quickly. I prime the fuel system, make sure the accel pump is squirting fuel, check the oil and water levels. Then start the engine. JMO.

Every spring I change the oil on my big blocks and I take out the distributor and intermediate shaft and prime the oil system ,its a lot of hassle, and was wondering what everyone else does. Is this overkill?

Wow you are putting yourself thru a lot of trouble there, I hit the key and away I go and my car sits for 6 mo. at a time here in Maine with the long winters we have. I have never had a lick of trouble, if your engine was built right it will be fine. When changing the oil just prefill the filter you shouldnt need to do more then that.

NO thats NOT over kill. my dad was changing oil on 77 new yorker. 440 high miles. left the pan draining and went to lunch. when he came back it would not prime. he ended having to spin the pump at 1300 RPM to get to prime. so dont let high miles pump set with no oil on them.

NO thats NOT over kill. my dad was changing oil on 77 new yorker. 440 high miles. left the pan draining and went to lunch. when he came back it would not prime. he ended having to spin the pump at 1300 RPM to get to prime. so dont let high miles pump set with no oil on them.

Just how many miles was on that ole girl????? A million???? LOL just bustin on ya... but that is rare and in a life time of working on these rigs I have never seen that happen.

IMO, what you're doing is overkill, but isn't hurting you either. When an engine is new and for all intents and purposes "dry" internally in terms of passages and wear surfaces - you have to preoil it. Once it's been running there's a lot of oil stuck in passages and on parts. So as long as it starts quickly you're not hurting anything just turning the key. What I would suggest is what was mentioned - replace the oil before you store it, and prime the fuel system (fill the carb through the vent(s) ) so it fires immediately. The longer it turns over getting fuel up to the carb and firing the more potential wear can occur.

I always crank mine over before I set the choke. It gets a little oil flowing before the explosions begin. When mine starts immediately, I always get a bit of unwanted engine noise for a few seconds. I like the idea of spinning the engine with no load to get the crank oiled. Great idea to pre-oil though. tmm

There are also oil accumulators if it's that big of a deal to someone.
They shoot 3/4 or so of a quart into the oiling system when you turn the key on.

You really have to be careful, I think, because pretty soon you can talk yourself right into paranoia

You really have to be careful, I think, because pretty soon you can talk yourself right into paranoia

Nah, ya think?
Not really, right?
I know what you are trying to do here.
Who put you up to this?
Others are involved aren't they?

Dammit, I knew it.:banghead:

:D

-
Back