problem solved: bad U-joints

-

woodchip

Reaction score
On my LRT, I was experiencing what felt as if, in intervals, someone was lightly putting pressure on the brakes as I drove..but mostly only felt it when at a constant speed. Naturally... rotating assembly in the motor, bad transmission or rear gears came to mind. (Native Pittsburgh people only think the worst of every situation). I started with turning rotors, checking wheel bearings, repacking and so on. Long story short, I saw grease/oil flinging on the underside but at first thought rear trans seal. As I'm approaching a weekend road trip out of state I decided to go with my gut and replace both U-joints even though no sign of vibration or wobbly drive shaft. Problem solved! Apparently the feeling I explained was the rotating of a bad U-joint or two. To my Mopar bretheren out there: here's the advice I don't always follow: Check the simpler, most obvious things first and don't over think every problem like I do! Good luck. (ps: do you Like how the Mrs. gets in there and enjoys getting her hands dirty too??!!)
:notworth:

Attachments

• newtruckparts 003.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 144
  • newtruckparts 005.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 226961_146487608757111_100001876184891_295865_482973_n.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 145
I'm impressed. I dont think I could get my wife to do that.. twice :)

You are right though, sometimes we overlook the simplest things when trying to solve a problem.

Grant

How did you check 'em? I learned a LONG time ago you must remove the shaft to check joints. It's the only way you can feel movement in them.

Another thing to watch in U joints is that they don't get "out of time" You should be able to sight down the shaft like a rifle barrel and the joint caps should be perfectly in line, rotationally.

Sometimes these stupid "rubber connected" shafts (tube in a tube) slip, and SOMETIMES the machine shops are sloppy

Another thing that can cause stuff like this, other than pinion angle and bad pinion bearings or transmission bushings is if the shaft is either in too far or out too far on the slip yoke.

You know, I'm ashamed to say I didn't check them...they didn't give me a real reason to think they were bad. I was dumbfounded and reaching for answers. I got lucky. My brother once told me "your not a mechanic, just a parts changer". He's right. But I enjoy doing it! The voices in my head told me to go for the easy/simplest fixes first.

Attachments

• 63410_109143252491547_100001876184891_76702_5519013_n.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 97
-
Back