Progess on the 71 Demon, the Musclecar Ministry's first project

-
Here's what I'm looking at Jerry. The pans are fairly decent condition. But the pan sections under the driver's and passenger's feet are going to have to come out. The section under the front seat is in good shape. as is the section of pan under the REAR passenger's feet.

Here are the pictures. The only question is, how would you recommend cutting them out? Should I replace the pans individually on both sides, or go all the way across the transmission tunnel and replace it as one section?

Frontfootpans.jpg

driverside.jpg

footpan2.jpg

passsidepan.jpg

Today, I scored a trunk pan in good used condition. Price was right, and I'm going to go back and cut it out next weekend.

Just need some decent weather.

Heading up to Denton in the morning to cut out the trunk pan. Have sawzall in hand!

Since the trans tunnel is in good shape I would say do each side individually. Watch where you cut so you don't dig in to the frame rails. That's how I did mine. You can see this pan was made from multiple pieces but the installation is the same.

pass floor welded in.jpg

I'm off to Midland in the morning to pick up a Challenger hood. One of the members from www.cuda-challenger.com graciously donated a used Ralleye hood from a 74 Challenger. I'm going to graft the center section from that hood to our Demon hood like the Mr. Norm's Demon.

So, hats off to Jimmy from cuda-challenger.com!

Man, I wish I lived in any state other than GA sometimes. Idaho has got some sick junkyards and now theres a church group in Texas building a demon. Georgia and their chebbies ='[

Well, we got the center section of the trunk pan out, along with the fuel tank. There's now a big hole there.

Pictures to come!

We're making steady progress on the Demon. I finally have some volunteer help that I can count on. The rear differential is being cleaned up and made ready for paint. We're cutting out the trunk pan in sections and we're preparing the replacement pan for installation. I even got the front radiator support mounted in place and ready to weld.

It goes faster when you have help!!

Will get pictures posted soon!!!!!!

71 Demon huh? don't waste your time on it, that's got to be one of the most buttugly cars ever made! waste of tiem and money, tell me where it's at and i come down and pick it up and take itto the scrape yard, gotta pass by it on the way to my house! LOL

71 Demon and 68 notchback are My favs, thanks for keeping another Demon on the road, good luck with the build and keep us posted with some pics.

Whats the plan? motor, trans, color?

It's going to be the same color as the Mr Norm's Demon, a dark charcoal gray. 360, auto, mildly built but streetable.

As promised, though somewhat late, some more pictures! I've started reassembling the front end thanks to Jerry down in Troy and I've also started on the trunk pan.

CCC2010002.jpg

CCC2010003.jpg

Progresspics015.jpg

The good news is, I have a couple of regular volunteers now and they've taken ownership of a couple of areas on the car. One guy is doing the trunk pan, the other is reworking the interior floors. I'm working the front end.

It helps when you can divide the car up like that.

My next goal is to obtain a cheap disc brake conversion set up. Wish me luck with that!

The good news is, I have a couple of regular volunteers now and they've taken ownership of a couple of areas on the car. One guy is doing the trunk pan, the other is reworking the interior floors. I'm working the front end.

It helps when you can divide the car up like that.

My next goal is to obtain a cheap disc brake conversion set up. Wish me luck with that!

Let us know what parts you compile and how it works out....I'm looking to do the same on my '71 Scamp, but don't have a grand to spend on a kit!

I'll be posting some pics soon. We've removed the trunk pan. The used pan I found does need some repair work. The extensions were a bit rough. I could have repaired them, but new ones from AMD were very affordable. I like AMD. They're courteous and they worked with us every step of the way. I highly recommend Auto Metal Direct down in Georgia.

Will get some progress photos uploaded ASAP!!

Randy - do you still have the old pan? If so, does it have the mounting tabs for the gas tank and the spare tire bracket? The car I am just finishing up for a customer needs them...

Randy - any updates on the Demon? Hope you are doing well.

Hey Gary, good to hear form you!

About a year and half ago, I had to move the car to my garage at my house in Keller. We lost the use of the shop we were using in Grapevine. I've been able to make progress on the Demon, but it's been very slow.

At one point I had four guys helping me. One sort of just faded from the picture. We're not sure where he is. One passed away. Another left our church for another church closer to his home. And the last guy just told me he's planning on moving to Mississippi to be closer to his daughter. So at this time, I'm doing it all by myself.

I made decent progress last year but had some things came up that put it further behind. My wife and I had to fly to California in May and take custody of our youngest granddaughter after our daughter got mixed up with some bad people and almost got herself and our granddaughter killed. CPS stepped in and put our granddaughter in foster care in Ontario California. We had to hire attorneys here in Texas and in California, but we were successful and our granddaughter now lives with us.

Then my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in October and what with the surgery and follow-up treatment and having to raise our granddaugher, I just didn't have time to do anything with the car. The last time I did anything to the car was in October right before we got the news about the cancer.

I haven't been able to find anyone else willing to help with the car. There just aren't that many men who are into cars or who have the mechanical inclination at our church. (That's a polite way of saying that most of the guys are the sort of white collar types who don't like getting dirty.) It's just difficult to get anyone to help with projects like this at our church. There are some issues that have divided the church and the people are more focused on those issues right now. It's not the best time to ask for help and when I have asked, my appeals for more help have gone unanswered. I've gone so far as to appeal to the Search and Restore team on Spike TV, praying that my application would even be seen. No luck there so far.

All that aside, I just plan to keep plugging away. I might work something out to where I can buy the car from the church. But at the moment, that's not my first choice. I still think this is a good ministry, and I have to be patient and wait on God's timing and trust in Him to work out all these issues.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I know you're in good hands :)

Have you tried to reach out to the Christian Classic Cruisers? They might have people looking to plug in to something like what you are doing.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I know you're in good hands :)

Have you tried to reach out to the Christian Classic Cruisers? They might have people looking to plug in to something like what you are doing.

I did when we first acquired the car and were trying to find a decent shop for it. Their focus is on putting on their summer shows and their annual Christmas toy drive. Many of the people involved with that organization don't even own cars. They just volunteer their time and efforts for the monthly car shows. And the ones who do own cars either bought finished cars or paid someone else to do their work.

Surprisingly, they're not well connected when it comes to finding shops and people and other resources to work on projects.

-
Back