Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
OK ...but what does the EH stand for?....I.m kinda new......and all I know is ..A...B....C...and some F bodies

thanks...now I get it...like a eh-body..eh?

Mopar to ya'...eh
Denny

Here's an update from today. I was able to find some time today to get the rear axle built and into the car.

Layed down a nice bead of Permatex Gear Oil RTV Sealant. Specially made for rear axles!
DSC_0148~1.jpg

Bolted on the center section. 45 ft/lbs
DSC_0149~0.jpg

Installed the brakes and axles. Not a fun task having to take them on and off 3-4 times. But there finally done and I learned a few tricks!
DSC_0150~1.jpg

Rotors and Calipers installed. They look great!
DSC_0151~1.jpg

What kind of axles are those? That's right, MOSERS!
DSC_0153~0.jpg

Assembled ready to go into the car.
DSC_0152~1.jpg

Here's one of the wheels on the car. Studs are too long for the style of lug nuts I have. Plan right now is to cut them down.
DSC_0154.jpg

So how'd I do?

Riddler

So today I was able to get over to Inline Tube Inc. in Shelby Township. Let me tell you guys these guys know and understand brakes. I walked in expecting to have to explain everything. They looked at what I had in mind and went above and beyond.

In this picture you can see the green and white coat hangers I bent up for the rear axle. They took those and made CNC copies of them in stainless steel.
DSC_0943.jpg

I was then explained that since I've gone with Wilwood rear disc brake I should have some sort of flex lines as they tend to move slightly unlike stock drums. So I went ahead and purchased the rear flexline kit. Along with that I also purchased all stainless hardware and three tabs to weld to the axle and body. On top of that they had the Mopar rear axle Tee I wanted.
DSC_0944.jpg

After Inline Tube I ran over to Mancini Racing to purchase a new vent tube. Lucky for me they also had a Wilwood Proportioning Valve hanging on the wall for $41. I'll take that!
DSC_0945.jpg

While at Mancini Racing I saw a product called Lizard Skin. I'm going to contact the company and see about getting a small sample of each just to see what it looks like in person.
www.lizardskin.com

Riddler

If you google Lizardskin alternatives there are several sites I found on how to make your own and save a lot cash, basically you buy micro air beads and add to paint and roll it on. Just thought It might help.

If you google Lizardskin alternatives there are several sites I found on how to make your own and save a lot cash, basically you buy micro air beads and add to paint and roll it on. Just thought It might help.

Hey thanks....I'll take a look into it. Are there any other products that are better? I'd love to do sound and insulation in one spray.

Riddler

rear looks great joe glad to hear your still making some progress on the duster! Love the brakes and pro touring rims btw.

Well today I got done with my mock up on some hood struts and it worked, but at the same time didn't work out. To hide the struts inside the fenders you'd need crazy struts with a ton of PSI. I tried to use a pair 90psi struts and while it holds the bare hood open it won't assist bring it up. These struts were nearly impossible to install and the only way I was able to do it was to get them in a 10,000lbs tow strap and tighten them closed. Anyway onto some pictures.

IMG_0373.jpg

Strut Closed
IMG_0372.jpg

Strut Open
IMG_0371.jpg

Anyway my plan now is to just go back to using the stock hinges with springs. I'll have them blasted and painted with the car. Who knows maybe I'll even get some hood struts later on and attach them to the hood and fender like the OEM's do it now.

I've also made a new purchase. A set of 1976 Ontario Vintage Plates. I'm hoping I can use them.
IMG_0370.jpg

Riddler

Looks good. But I noticed the angle of the hood struts were straight up and down. On modern cars they are more angled to get them to open and close easier right?

Modern cars have them attached from the hood to the fender. Thus the angle is required to fit the strut under the hood when it's closed. I was attempting to have the struts hidden inside the fenders. Just don't think it's going to work.

Riddler

Modern cars have them attached from the hood to the fender. Thus the angle is required to fit the strut under the hood when it's closed. I was attempting to have the struts hidden inside the fenders. Just don't think it's going to work.

Riddler

What about hydraulics lifts? I have a set under my recliner to lift me up so I can get out of it. Are your lifts on upside down?

These struts are high pressure gas set at 90psi. I followed the install instructions that say to have the thinner shaft pointing down. Has something to do with keeping oil/gas on the seals in the open position.

Hydraulic lifts just might work but I'd be afraid of them failing or having no battery power and not being able to open the hood.

Riddler

These struts are high pressure gas set at 90psi. I followed the install instructions that say to have the thinner shaft pointing down. Has something to do with keeping oil/gas on the seals in the open position.

Hydraulic lifts just might work but I'd be afraid of them failing or having no battery power and not being able to open the hood.

Riddler

Would you believe mine has a 9 volt battery back up.

riddler I think your idea is there the geometry is just a little off.
when I put struts on my trunk I had to move them around to get the correct angle.
I think if you move the mount point up a little higher on the hinge and move the lower mount more toward to original lower mount it will work.
True you might see a little bit of the cylinder but I think it will work.
You are so close keep trying and you will get it.

On my trunk a matter of a 1/4 inch meant the trunk lid falling down or popping up on its own.

Yeah I had a chat with a few of my engineer friends and they said the same thing. I'm planning to move the attachment points. I'll keep trying as I also feel I'm almost there.

Riddler

-
Back