Proper Fuel Feed with Nitrous?

-

74slnt6

Reaction score
okay so this coming spring i want to have my nitrous kit all set up on my duster. right now I have a high flow Mechanical Carter fuel pump ( like 120 gph i think ) but should i also have an electric pump assisting my mechanical ? or should i just use an electric pump and remove the mechanical pump? Im gonna run a wet shot , and ive never had any problems with low fuel pressure with the carter. even with the factory 5/16 fuel feed lines ( which will be 1/2 inch next year too ) what should i do?

The high volume mechanical pump will support a 125 HP spray. You don't have to add an electric fuel pump. Problems arise quickly if fuel pressure drops off. A fuel pressure cut off switch is a good idea.

How big a kit is it? Under 200hp can be fed with a mechanical pump and 5/16 line assunming you;re not already making 500hp.

I like running a complete separate fuel system for nitrous. Pump, line filter and all, whether it's a 100 horse plate shot or a 500 horse fogger. It reduces the possibility of leaning out. That's the last thing you need with nitrous.

...........Even on the1976 bone stock cast crank 440 i ran a dedicated fuel system, 250 shot..........not 1 problem in 3 years, about 100 runs......U dont want a melt down..............kim..........

Think of it this way.A secondary system assures you reliabiliy.And gives you an added tuning tool.Most nitrous kits are jetted rich.You can balance the line pressures for stability and performance improvements.

I'd ditch the mechanical just to play it safe and get a high volume electric. You can flow test the electric and set your dynamic fuel pressure accurately.

I am keen to know more on this post. I am doing the same to my 318. I plan to run a 75 shot and have fitted a large carter pump. I will be running out of my fuel reg to another reg for the Nitrous fuel . This will run to a hobbs switch(low pressure)and to the solenoid. Theory is if the pressure drops below 4.5psi it should shut down the system. As I will only be using the system a few times a year ( its illegal in Australia to have it fitted to a street car ) and cannot justify the expense or time to fit a dedicated sytem. Is this wrong ??

okay so this coming spring i want to have my nitrous kit all set up on my duster. right now I have a high flow Mechanical Carter fuel pump ( like 120 gph i think ) but should i also have an electric pump assisting my mechanical ? or should i just use an electric pump and remove the mechanical pump? Im gonna run a wet shot , and ive never had any problems with low fuel pressure with the carter. even with the factory 5/16 fuel feed lines ( which will be 1/2 inch next year too ) what should i do?

I'll say it, what is the set-up & combo, we are drawing straws here, Is the engine a SB or BB, mild or wild, I wouldn't run a 5/16 line for any mild V8 period, so thats the 1st. that should upgrated, plus if its the factory line its most likely rusty unless its been changed, I do notice your Sig. it says "slant 6", is this what your wanting to feed N2o too? You need to be more specific.

I am keen to know more on this post. I am doing the same to my 318. I plan to run a 75 shot and have fitted a large carter pump. I will be running out of my fuel reg to another reg for the Nitrous fuel . This will run to a hobbs switch(low pressure)and to the solenoid. Theory is if the pressure drops below 4.5psi it should shut down the system. As I will only be using the system a few times a year ( its illegal in Australia to have it fitted to a street car ) and cannot justify the expense or time to fit a dedicated sytem. Is this wrong ??
I am (like many) with ozval318...I have a 9:1 318/904 with 3:55-1 posi and want to do a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous for sparing use. I have a 5/16 fuel line (stocker) and a factory fuel pump and a Thermoquad, what is the easiest way to get a small shot in the arm without emptying my wallet or blowing the motor? :blob:

-
Back