Proper Refillinh method?

-
I just make sure there's a bleed hole in the stat. Drill one if it's not there. Anything say, 1/8" is fine

Then pull the heater hose next to the stat, better at the heater, and tip the hose downhill and keep it low, below the level of hte radiator. Fill until you get coolant out of the hose, then slam the hose back on. Sometimes it helps to get the front end of the car up a little. Let it sit for a few minutes to "burp." This may not fill the heater core, so you may have to add a small amount the next time it cools.

When starting, do NOT simply depend on the gauge. Feel the top, bottom, and heater hoses to feel for circulation.

I have NEVER once had a problem with any engine since the 60's using this method.

If you don't have a vacuum refiller just fill it up with the cap off and let it idle. When the thermostat opens the level in the radiator will go down. Keep adding coolant until it won't take anymore. It may take a few times. The air will be out. tmm

Taking 40 MPH corners at 80 MPH will work out any bubbles. :toothy8::toothy8:

If you don't have a vacuum refiller just fill it up with the cap off and let it idle. When the thermostat opens the level in the radiator will go down. Keep adding coolant until it won't take anymore. It may take a few times. The air will be out. tmm

That is all I have ever done on these engines and never had a problem doing 100s of them.

Some of the new cars you can't do this way and some even have a bleeder.

-
Back