Proper way to replace windshield and rear glass

-

M67cuda

Reaction score
I'm starting work on my 67 notch and would like to remove front and rear glass but I'm worried about breaking it. Can anybody explain details of the process or are there any online videos on the subject? Thanks in advance

If you are not trying to save the seal than removal is easy. take a box cuter blade and cut along the outside seal to remove the lip. At that point you should see the edge of the glass. From there depending on the amount of sealant used to put it in originally, you should be able to push it out. If there is a bunch of sealant holding it in, you may need to run a wire along the inside border to cut through it to get it to release. Im sure there are more than a few videos on Youtube showing the process. Dont be concerned with finding one for your exact car. Windshield install is for the most part universal within a given period of time. Any 60, or 70,s models should give you a good idea of what to do.

pull lock strip (if equipped) and use your feet to push out corner from the inside. works great on the back window of a 65 Barracuda. I pulled a front windshield out of a 68 Valiant in about 5 minutes and I was trying to break it, just to practice at a pick-a-part before I took my 65's out for a headliner replacement. Pulled lockstrip and kicked the windshield out from the inside. Just use even pressure at the point where its still in the channel, moving as you go.

Be careful, lockstrip as pishta mentioned is one year only.
Both front and rear ws gaskets are one year only as well. Repop gaskets and lockstrip identical to original are available thru Precision, but very pricey.

My 67 does not have the lock strip. the seal is good (been replaced before) so I would like to save it if possible. I just want to remove the glass to prep the body for paint and make sure there is no rust hiding in there. Also want to remove headliner for same reasons.

Set up a heater and have it blowing on the windshield, warm rubber is more pliable than cold rubber.

-
Back