PST Conversion kit weekend help

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm having some issues with a front disc brake conversion kit for my 71 dart from PST and they are closed. Would like to continue over the weekend. Is there any contacts on here that could assist who have experience or ties with PST? Thanks

Last edited:
I have found that some people like to immediately post a bad experience when it may be better to just politely call the manufacturer.
I seriously doubt any company throws together a bunch of incorrect parts and laughs at what frustration might occur as a result.
Sometimes, these companies rely on other vendors to complete a package like this. Supply vendors sometimes get their parts from different sources too. They often only address a defect when a customer notifies them about it. PST may have no idea that you are having trouble. Maybe you should give them the chance to make it right.
I have no problem bashing a company that repeatedly screws its customers. Screw those guys....

I have found that some people like to immediately post a bad experience when it may be better to just politely call the manufacturer.
I seriously doubt any company throws together a bunch of incorrect parts and laughs at what frustration might occur as a result.
Sometimes, these companies rely on other vendors to complete a package like this. Supply vendors sometimes get their parts from different sources too. They often only address a defect when a customer notifies them about it. PST may have no idea that you are having trouble. Maybe you should give them the chance to make it right.
I have no problem bashing a company that repeatedly screws its customers. Screw those guys....
Hello all, I’m writing to see if anyone has installed PST’s front disc brake conversion kit on their car and is satisfied. I can assure you all that myself and my friends currently installing mine, are not. We are questioning the quality of the calipers since they come with rebuild instructions. Also, the rotors aren’t even remotely balanced or even. To the extent that the hubs are rubbing against the bottom of the calipers and have to be machined down. Also, the passenger side hub is so off Center, that it rubs the bottom of the caliber only on half of the turn, with almost a difference of a heavy 1/8”! Also the air coils inside the rotor aren’t even, and the spacing varies when you look at the rotor from the front of the car as it spins, the spacing changes vertically. Please see pictures, any help or input would be great. Thanks!

View attachment 1715102183

View attachment 1715102184

I agree, call PST and see what they say.

They are closed, just asking for any input from anyone that may have experience

PST isn’t the manufacturer for the rotors or the calipers, and I seriously doubt they inspect every single caliper and rotor that they’re supplied. If there’s casting issues, the parts are being supplied to PST that way.

I see the original post has been modified, but I doubt you’ll get much help unless you describe the problem you’re having and include pictures. PST has provided a lot of parts to a lot of people, and I’m sure their brake kits have been installed without issue many times. Could be you got bad parts, incorrectly boxed parts etc, because that happens. No perfect system for that. It could also be that the parts are installed incorrectly, and without pictures no one here will know.

You don’t have to blame the supplier, just show us the issue.

PST isn’t the manufacturer for the rotors or the calipers, and I seriously doubt they inspect every single caliper and rotor that they’re supplied. If there’s casting issues, the parts are being supplied to PST that way.

I see the original post has been modified, but I doubt you’ll get much help unless you describe the problem you’re having and include pictures. PST has provided a lot of parts to a lot of people, and I’m sure their brake kits have been installed without issue many times. Could be you got bad parts, incorrectly boxed parts etc, because that happens. No perfect system for that. It could also be that the parts are installed incorrectly, and without pictures no one here will know.

You don’t have to blame the supplier, just show us the issue.
I tried calling but unfortunately they are closed. I did modify the post because I haven’t personally talked with anyone and will respect them as a company until then, but our trusted shop did contact them and kept getting told they’ll have to modify to make them work. I’m hoping to get further with them Monday. Pictures below.

DC16434B-8A32-4CD6-8981-2B09DBC7FAC6.jpeg

712DB67A-0370-4D0A-B2A4-3AA3CDF37E38.jpeg

I wonder if you got sent the wrong kit.... I've never heard of anyone having to machine any brake kits like that.

I tried calling but unfortunately they are closed. I did modify the post because I haven’t personally talked with anyone and will respect them as a company until then, but our trusted shop did contact them and kept getting told they’ll have to modify to make them work. I’m hoping to get further with them Monday. Pictures below.

I wonder if you got sent the wrong kit.... I've never heard of anyone having to machine any brake kits like that.

I have and for that exact problem, but I don't remember what they did about it.
It was posted on here before.
It does seem that the high unmachined ridge had to be turned down, but I'll do some research and see if I can find out.
Be back in a bit.

Well unfortunately I can't find anything about it online and it seems our search function on here doesn't work right now so I can search for it here.
James at PST posts on here frequently, so maybe he'll see this.

Last edited:

View attachment 1715102191

View attachment 1715102192

Hmm. Something definitely doesn't look right there. That's a set of 10.95" disks right? It almost looks like the pads aren't all the way into the calipers though, it looks like you can see the exposed caliper piston there.

Should look more like this. The clearance to the pads is small, but nothing should touch obviously.
IMG_1269.JPG

And if the rotors are out of round on the hub, that's just crappy manufacturing. Again, PST doesn't manufacture the parts, they have suppliers. I have heard of some rotors being out of round on the hub, off center almost. They were "Pirate Jack" kits, supplied by MBM. It sounds like there was a crap batch of rotors that came out of that supplier. PST may not even know, so I would definitely make them aware when you can. I wouldn't modify rotors like that, I'd send them back.

Is that a 5x4", or 5x4.5" set of rotors?

Hmm. Something definitely doesn't look right there. That's a set of 10.95" disks right? It almost looks like the pads aren't all the way into the calipers though, it looks like you can see the exposed caliper piston there.

Should look more like this. The clearance to the pads is small, but nothing should touch obviously.
View attachment 1715102210

And if the rotors are out of round on the hub, that's just crappy manufacturing. Again, PST doesn't manufacture the parts, they have suppliers. I have heard of some rotors being out of round on the hub, off center almost. They were "Pirate Jack" kits, supplied by MBM. It sounds like there was a crap batch of rotors that came out of that supplier. PST may not even know, so I would definitely make them aware when you can. I wouldn't modify rotors like that, I'd send them back.

5x4” pattern

View attachment 1715102210

5x4 and it may have been a bad batch of spindles too. We had to drill them out as well.

5x4” pattern

Aha!

So, it's an MBM kit. 73+ disks, spindles, calipers etc. but with the rotors set up for the 5x4" pattern. Yes, there's been a couple of threads about the rotors being off center on the hub. The rotors are being done overseas (most are), but those are a specialty set up because they use a smaller center register and the smaller bolt pattern.

This is the other thread that was recently posted here. This kit was from Pirate Jack, but it sounds like they're all coming from the same supplier (MBM). Similar issues mentioned with the out of round deal. This kit is basically just a 73+ mopar disk brake set up that typically has the 5x4.5" bolt pattern, but with a modified rotor to stay 5x4" and work with the smaller center register wheels.
Ordered My Disc Brake Conversion Kit

5x4 and it may have been a bad batch of spindles too. We had to drill them out as well.

What did you have to drill out?

Aha!

So, it's an MBM kit. 73+ disks, spindles, calipers etc. but with the rotors set up for the 5x4" pattern. Yes, there's been a couple of threads about the rotors being off center on the hub. The rotors are being done overseas (most are), but those are a specialty set up because they use a smaller center register and the smaller bolt pattern.

This is the other thread that was recently posted here. This kit was from Pirate Jack, but it sounds like they're all coming from the same supplier (MBM). Similar issues mentioned with the out of round deal. This kit is basically just a 73+ mopar disk brake set up that typically has the 5x4.5" bolt pattern, but with a modified rotor to stay 5x4" and work with the smaller center register wheels.
Ordered My Disc Brake Conversion Kit

What did you have to drill out?

They had to drill out the area of the spindle so that the bolt will fit

They had to drill out the area of the spindle so that the bolt will fit

For what part? lower ball joint? or the caliper bracket? Because if it's the caliper bracket mount on the spindle the caliper bracket may not be located properly, which could contribute to the clearance issues you're having on the center.

Regardless, modifying brand new parts is rarely the way to go. If the parts have an issue, returning them for a replacement is the better way to go. Once they're modified no one will take them back, and you're stuck with a poorly manufactured part.

For what part? lower ball joint? or the caliper bracket? Because if it's the caliper bracket mount on the spindle the caliper bracket may not be located properly, which could contribute to the clearance issues you're having on the center.

Regardless, modifying brand new parts is rarely the way to go. If the parts have an issue, returning them for a replacement is the better way to go. Once they're modified no one will take them back, and you're stuck with a poorly manufactured part.
Agreed, the spindles were a no-worry fix, but hoping PST helps out with some kind of reimbursement.

That being said, I will be refurbishing old parts for sale in the future

Here’s another pictures of the rotor hubs that have been milled down to clear the calipers

447BBC86-C9ED-4928-8D11-AFBCA4576F1D.jpeg

In a previous life I have literally turned THOUSANDS of rotors, drums and hubs of all kinds, from a Fiat or smaller to over-the-road truck trailer brakes

BE CERTAIN you check the THICKNESS of that hub where the machining was carried out. If you can't do it any other way, drill a 1/8" or so hole so you can check thickness. it is incredibly important you do so

-
Back