PST or Bergman LCA bushings and pivots?

-
You need to get back to the same ride height you were at before. Whenever the ride height changes, the alignment changes. By raising the car a full 1 1/4" you've changed all of your static alignment numbers which is probably why the car feels squirrelly. That could be toe-out or a loss of positive caster. Even if you get back to the previous height, after changing that many suspension components it's time for a new alignment.

The strut rods need to be adjusted so that there is no binding in the LCA as it moves through its full range of travel. I do this by putting the car up on stands and then removing the shocks and torsion bars adjusting bolts and plates. With the shocks and torsion bar adjusters removed you should be able to raise and lower the LCA (and the rest of the suspension) manually. I start by adjusting the strut rods so the LCA is pulled all the way up against the LCA bushings but so that the LCA is still perpendicular to the frame rail (if you make the strut rod too short it will put an angle on the LCA). Once that's done I start cycling the suspension up and down through its entire range of travel, feeling for any resistance or binding and then adjusting the strut rod length until there's no binding in the entire range of travel.

You may not end up with strut rods that are exactly the same length, the factory suspension points could be off by like a 1/4" and those differences were taken up by the giant original rubber bushings. But if they're different by an entire inch you may have something bent or broken somewhere in the suspension, K frame or frame rails.

The goal of the adjustable strut rods is not to use them to adjust the alignment, but to get the LCA's to travel without any binding and without the large amounts of forward/aft deflection they can have with the stock strut rods and fat rubber bushings.

Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in. I have the Delrin bushings. I misunderstood the adjustment process as it was explained to to me. I assumed everything was to be together. I have an aftermarket Hellwig sway bar with bolt on brackets as well how does that factor in?
I can tighten the control arm pivots then adjust the strut rods. I gave it a good look to make sure nothing was broken. The way I have it now even though it feels better than before something is probably binding. Does the UCA bumper have to come off as well?

Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in. I have the Delrin bushings. I misunderstood the adjustment process as it was explained to to me. I assumed everything was to be together. I have an aftermarket Hellwig sway bar with bolt on brackets as well how does that factor in?
I can tighten the control arm pivots then adjust the strut rods. I gave it a good look to make sure nothing was broken. The way I have it now even though it feels better than before something is probably binding. Does the UCA bumper have to come off as well?
As part of this, I went from the stock torsion bars to new 1.03 which I attributed to the increased ride height.

For the most part you want everything assembled. Obviously the torsion bar adjusters and plates have to be out otherwise you won't be able to cycle the suspension easily, same for the shocks. The control arm pivots should be torqued to spec (they should already have been tight if you were driving the car), the bushings will rotate on the pivots. The bump stops should remain in place, you're trying to get the working suspension travel free from binding and those set the range of travel. Because you have a bunch of different parts traveling in arcs of different radii and at angles to each other you can't get the suspension free of binding over an infinite range, you're just focused your actual suspension travel, so, bump stop to bump stop.

The sway bar will have to be unhooked, since you can only adjust one side at a time you'd be working against the sway bar to cycle the suspension.

As part of this, I went from the stock torsion bars to new 1.03 which I attributed to the increased ride height.

Yep, if you used the same count on your torsion bar adjusters as you had with your old torsion bars that would definitely change the ride height.

I actually read the directions but chose not to follow them :rolleyes:.
After reading them again and with expert advice from 72blu, I could see were the longer of the 2 strut rods had the LCA pushed so far back that the torsion bar adjustment arm was binding on the control arm and the adjustment bolt was was riding it's edge as opposed to being in the cup. I shortened the strut rod quite a bit and cycled it thru a couple times to get it right. The left side which wasn't a problem and was .25 inches longer than the right side was
after I fixed it. Without taking it apart I jacked it up and let it down a couple times and it was pretty smooth so I let it go. As far as the ride height was concerned, I initially set the adjusters to the old lighter torsion bar measurements I noted before I started the job. I backed them way off and now the car is about an inch higher than the old ride height. It will need a little more tweeking, but it is much, much better.
 Thanks

-
Back