Pulley mayhem or im gonna pull my hair out

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Cant seem to get my pulleys lined back up after building my 440. Its got a 440 source crank and a fluidamper balancer. i used the alt brackets off a 69 383 non ac car. nothing lines up .what gives. damper is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from timing cover so i believe balancer is bottomed but the balancer pulley doesnt line up with my watrr pump pulley and when i shim w/p to line up with crank alt is not far enough away from block so belt is cocked. do i need a special crank pulley to offset fluidampers extra thickness?

Sorry but yes. Friend of mine ran into this same problem with the Fluidamper (I'm pretty sure is was a FLD unit) extra thickness and was going to have to bastardize the alt., water pump and power steering pump sheaves and brackets to get everything to line up. This cuss the crank pulley was to far forward of the stock position. But then the light came on and after taking a 1/2 dozen measurements he cut a 1/2" ring out of the center of the crank pulley and had the 2 halves welded back together on a rotating fixture (old lathe) to keep her true.

Terry

I've seen that happen before also. I don't know why but about 1/3 of the aftermarket balancers I looked at recently for the stroker I'm building are thicker than stock. The thickness seems to vary by manufacturer too.

march sells pulley sets with a 3/4 in. shorter crank pulley to compensate for fluidampr ballancers. this info may help someone else some day.

Wow it's 3/4 of an inch off? That's tremendous!! What we're they thinking when they made that? That also means you'll have to either space the alt. out that much or buy an offset pulley for it, if they make one. If you have power steering you've got a problem there too.

no fishy it corrects it back to factory location so everythimg else line up.

no fishy it corrects it back to factory location so everythimg else line up.its the march 10150 kit

-
Back