Pulling my 170 (and a few of questions)

-

stansabody

Reaction score
...out of a '64 Valiant.

From what I've read on various forums, the two threaded holes on top of the head are used (with 3/8" course grade-8 bolts) to pull the whole engine.
or
Someone used the front hole where the alternator bracket gets screwed in with the rear hole in the head.
Is about an inch threaded into the head enough to support the engine? Should the two holes on top of the head be used instead of the alternator bracket hole (seems like there's not a lot of metal above that hole)?
Seems like a lot of weight on two bolts. (The last engine I pulled was a 2.3 4 cylinder and already had the engine pulling brackets on the front and back and was a piece of cake.)

One more question: I've never heard this motor run, but it does turn fine. Is it worth keeping at all??

Thanks (and sorry for so many questions...)
Stan

The two holes on top is where I pulled a 225 a few weeks ago. If your doing the tras with it just use the rear hole. It levels it out darn close to level. Make sure you use grade 8 bolts.

Use one bolt on the side of the head and one at the motor mount and it pulls pretty even.

100_3675.jpg

100_3676.jpg

....or you could drop the whole thing out the bottom like it was designed to do.

I have used the 2 holes in the head plus a safety chain 'just in case'. And grade 5 bolts are OK, just don't use ungraded ones! (The tensile strength difference between grade 5 and grade 8 is not all that much.)

Wow that does look balanced. Great pictures (I like pictures) and comments.

As far as dropping out the bottom, with all of the rust, etc. on this car I think pulling from the top will be easier and quicker, but appreciate the option.

Thanks!

You have to jack to car up pretty high to get the engine out from under....it's a great way to do it and works best if you have a lift.

It's pretty quick doing it old school, especially if that's what your used to doing.

As for whether it's worth keeping: the 170 can be built into a real rev-monster. From time to time someone goes in search of a 170 to build. It's also possible to bore/stroke a 170 to make a 210.

One more question: I've never heard this motor run, but it does turn fine. Is it worth keeping at all??

It depends what your goal is . A ride on lawn mower is faster than that engine, and as far as building it to rev to the moon, you would then need to change the gearing and it would have significantly less power on the bottom and would rev fairly high on the freeway (when there is no traffic).

You can also easily stroke a 225 engine . All it takes is money.

I understand that one lifts from just the front hole for engine alone or from the rear hole for engine + transmission, and that will be well-balanced w/ all components installed (less AC?). Wish I knew that last time I removed a slant (1994). It does look scary hanging from one bolt, so best to use a grade 8 and a swivel hook is even better. But, people lift V-8's all the time w/ just a plate in place of the carb, secured w/ four ~5/16" bolts into often an aluminum manifold.

Really? With what crankshaft?

You can offset grind the existing crank, or for more stroke you can get it welded . I was making strokers long before there were kits for them . Like I said, it's easy, but it takes money to do a 225.

You can offset grind the existing crank or for more stroke you can get it welded . I was making strokers long before there were kits for them . Like I said, it's easy, but it takes money to do a 225.

I am familiar with all that. It appeared that you knew something about a stroker crank. You don't.

I am familiar with all that. It appeared that you knew something about a stroker crank. You don't.

If you knew all that then I don't see a reason for your post since I never said or implied there was an aftermarket stroker crank available, however, I do in fact know quite a lot about a stroker crank for a 225 . You simply stroke the 225 crank and it will then be a "stroker" crank . It's not really rocket science.
thud.gif

Last edited:
As for whether it's worth keeping: the 170 can be built into a real rev-monster. From time to time someone goes in search of a 170 to build. It's also possible to bore/stroke a 170 to make a 210.

Well...if it's unusual that someone would/will want the 170 I might just pull off the accessories and let the rest go. Manifolds, valve cover, alt, carb, starter..
what all is worth keeping?

OK, I'll post over there with a pointer to this thread, then.

Wow, appreciate it Dan. If I get something with a /6 (and keep it that way) I will join up at that point. I've visited often to pick some brains and it seems to be a great site.

Stan

Great people make a great site. No egos here. But some of our brains are too small to pick.

-
Back