Pulling out my s6

-

Lecki6

Reaction score
Any tips on getting the drive shaft off?
Probably pulling motor and tranny separate, read that I'll have to jack up the tranny to get it to split.. First time pulling a motor/tranny so all hard lessons and tips are appreciated!

Thanks,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 203
To pull the driveshaft, you just simply remove the straps at the rear axle, slide it forward, and then down and out. If you have trouble, sometimes jacking the rear end up a little can help too.

I would put a jack (like the one in the trunk of a modern car) under the bellhousing with a block of wood under it and just yank the engine with the cherry picker, then come back and get the trans out.

To pull the slant, you'll need to have the radiator completely removed from the car. Not a hard job, really.

You rock man,
I was in a bit of a rush but it worked out just fine.. Tranny out tomorrow morning!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 186
Unless you are very careful or very lucky, you will spill a LOT of transmission fluid unless you do one of two things. Either drain the trans or block off the tailshaft (you can use the driveshaft yoke if you remove the front u-joint).
You can pull the trans up out the same way the engine came out or you can drop it down, jack the car up some, and slide it out from underneath. The hard part is usually getting the engine out.
So what are your plans once the engine/trans are out?

Unless you are very careful or very lucky, you will spill a LOT of transmission fluid unless you do one of two things. Either drain the trans or block off the tailshaft (you can use the driveshaft yoke if you remove the front u-joint).
You can pull the trans up out the same way the engine came out or you can drop it down, jack the car up some, and slide it out from underneath. The hard part is usually getting the engine out.
So what are your plans once the engine/trans are out?

It looked like a blood bath on the floor, but thats what kitty litter is for.

Once everything in the engine bay is out, its getting parked in a little DIY garage/tent I made then stripped of the dash/seats/liners/EVERYTHING then sanded, rust removed, probably some welding in the lower quarter panel, then primed. Sad to say there's little chance the 6 is going back in, but that's still a ways out.

I have a restoration thread I'll be updating every so often.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=340882

It looked like a blood bath on the floor, but thats what kitty litter is for.
LOL that is funny... I did the same on my first engine and trans pull many years ago.... expect I was under the tailshaft when I pulled the driveshaft and became 'kitty litter' myself. Nothing that a lot of soap could not cure!

LOL that is funny... I did the same on my first engine and trans pull many years ago.... expect I was under the tailshaft when I pulled the driveshaft and became 'kitty litter' myself. Nothing that a lot of soap could not cure!

I always recommend pulling the pan and draining as opposed to just letting it run out the tailshaft, much cleaner that way!!!

Excuse me while I whip this out....

[ame]https://youtu.be/EYlDbv7MqE8[/ame]

I prefer to use an engine leveler and take the trans and engine with it. Much easier than trying to split the engine/trans in the car...

I remove the slip yoke from the driveshaft and leave it in the trans and wire it up so I can pull everything as a unit. I keep spare yokes for 727 and a 904 now.

-
Back