PUSH BUTTON TRANY QUESTION

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Anyone here have a car with a push button shifter & trany ? Did you ever have to replace the shifter cable ?

Yup make sure you unhook the cable end at the valve body with ease factory service manual is a great help

Working on my dads 62 polara w/ a push button. We installed the shifter cable & that's all we got done before he passed. He knew more about these than I do. The trany pan was off. With the neutral button in I adjusted the cable so it was on top of the neutral safety switch. I pushed every gear & checked every time to make sure that it was in that gear. Also made sure that it would not start in any gear but neutral. Ok put the pan back on, put trany fluid in. But before that I made sure it was in neutral again. Started it up & noticed that the speedometer was moving. Looked underneath & the trany was turning. (drive shaft is off) If the trany is in neutral why is it turning ? Now the trany has a reverse manual valve body. Is that the difference ? What am I missing

May be just rotational friction if She's set up tight, may be fine.

727s do have some driving force in nuetral due to internal friction. With the wheels off the ground it will spin them.

I'm looking for some help with the shifter cable in a 62 Val 904. How do you get to the "eyelet" to unfasten behind the dash area (push button). 1962 Manual is little help and have speedo out but need help to get the "shelf" area or whole dash (??) out??? Got to replace the cable from there to tranny so I can get it on the road.

Lost

Last edited:
Me neither. I would say take the seat out & lay on the floor * look up behind the dash

Seat & interior is out. Steering wheel down. Speedo out. Have looked up into the darkness (with light) and still can't see what holding this instrument panel (which is too push out...nope) in place so one can reach into/behind the dash panel. HOWEVER, as I was blurring my eyes with reading of many sites about this issue, I found that someone by the name of Pat Blais seemed to have an answer for me.

Waaaay up on the back side of the pushbutton mechanism are a couple of "hex nuts" that face toward the rear of the car. Remove these "hex nuts". Now I know my old eyes are tired & have to use reading glasses...but just where in the ...are they??? Guess I'll get a better standing on my head position on the floorboard...a much better light (something like 3 million lumes or something) and find & take those "hex nets" off the studs. OK, I'll get to work now. Thanks everyone.

-
Back