Pusher - Shroud after or no?

-

SalC

Reaction score
Because of clearance issues I'm forced to mount a 16" electric fan in front as a pusher. Champion aluminum radiator, 67 Barracuda - 383.

My question is would a shroud after (engine side of radiator) still help or no?

Because of clearance issues I'm forced to mount a 16" electric fan in front as a pusher. Champion aluminum radiator, 67 Barracuda - 383.

My question is would a shroud after (engine side of radiator) still help or no?
Just a shroud or a shroud and mechanical fan?? Just a shroud probably won't make any difference.

treblig

Just a shroud or a shroud and mechanical fan?? Just a shroud probably won't make any difference.

treblig

An electric fan (pusher) is my only option with this radiator, so it's going in front. There's no room for a shroud in front so it would be in the normal location after. Just wondering if it would help there or not.

An electric fan (pusher) is my only option with this radiator, so it's going in front. There's no room for a shroud in front so it would be in the normal location after. Just wondering if it would help there or not.
Oh....you were asking about a shroud "in front"!! That's a totally different question. You almost absolutely need a shroud because without a shroud the air will take the path of least resistance and NOT through the radiator. As the fan tries to push air through the radiator fins it will go out the sides of the fan because the radiator gives the air lots of resistance.

Oh....you were asking about a shroud "in front"!! That's a totally different question. You almost absolutely need a shroud because without a shroud the air will take the path of least resistance and NOT through the radiator. As the fan tries to push air through the radiator fins it will go out the sides of the fan because the radiator gives the air lots of resistance.

I had the same space problems with early A's, on one car I mounted a 16 inch pusher
front of radiator, This setup cools OK with a 300 hp small block 3 row stock type radiator.
It never overheats in any situation but the fan runs continuously anytime the temp is
above maybe 60 deg. Another nearly identical car I used (2) 11 inch fans, (1) pusher
in front and (1) puller behind, they are offset to cover more radiator surface, this setup works better as the fans come on only when sitting or very slow driving

Maybe I'm not being clear. Fan in front, shroud in rear.

I have absolutely no room for a fan after the radiator. 1.5" clearance at best. I also have no room for a shroud before the radiator because of the grill / hood latch support. I'm asking if a shroud after the radiator would help vs no shroud. The fan will be mounted before the radiator as a pusher.

fan shroud setup.png

I don't think a shroud on the backside of the radiator will help at all. Hope you have a shroud on the electric fan???

Shrouds around fans are simply to prevent the fan blades from being able to 'throw' air out sideways instead of through the rad. Putting on on the opposite side of the rad from the fan wouldn't really do anything. Even if you can get some sort of shroud the same depth as your electric fan that helps force the air through the rad rather than sideways, that would be better.

A shroud on the back with an electric pusher on the front will do absolutely nothing. The shrouds on the backside of radiators are designed so that the rear mounted fan is pulling air across and through the entire surface of the radiator. Without a shroud a puller fan will just pull air from in front of it in general, which may not be just through the radiator- it can pull air from around the radiator in the engine compartment. The shroud is to force a puller fan to pull air through the radiator.

A shroud on the front of the radiator will block incoming air through the radiator, which isn't what you want. The fan is pushing air through the radiator, and just pulling air in front of it. A front mounted pusher fan should have a "ring" around the outside of the fan blades to keep air from escaping out the sides. In theory it may also recirculate some air from behind the radiator back through if there's no shroud, but, the point of the pusher fan isn't to evacuate air from in front of it, it's to push air through the radiator. The air resistance created by the radiator itself would also keep to a minimum. And the moving air blocked by a front mounted shroud when the car was moving would be more detrimental than any slight improvement from eliminating any possible recirculation when the car was sitting still at idle.

-
Back