Put my Opel Manta on Bring A Trailer. Sold

-
That has that nice late 60s-early 70s Euro look...I bet fun to drive! If I wasn't committed to completing the Valiant, then getting the 38 Chevy done...
Good luck on it!

Man, growing up in europe, i LOVE that car

And your not even that far away

And they could look mean:

manta02-jpg-DW-Sonstiges-jpg.jpg

0db18101a49bad686207ccd938fa7ea658a9bcc5.jpg

...but they were not really fast...

Has a hint of 2nd gen corvair styling, but a touch more aggressive.

When I was living in Germany early 2000s this was the only project car I ever saw there at anyone’s house. Cool car my mom had one as a young lady.

Last edited:
Im glad it sold, because my wife reminded me I got a birthday coming up and I was allready formulating a plan to lowball you and try to get it...even though I got no where to go with it

Sharp looking car. How hard is it to find parts for something like that around here?
Actually it’s a like like my ‘66 Valiant. The parts to keep it going aren’t a problem but sheet metal stuff isn’t around e dot for the hoaxers with their own stash.

OpelGTSource.com is the go to in the US.

I always wanted to sell something on BAT but not my Valiant.
And yes they are slow; 1.9 liters of low compression tech.

It’s a fun car, I’d like to get another one but like A bodies it’s hard finding a rust free one.

My Mechanical Drawing teacher in high school (mid 70's) had one of these. He was a good guy. He took me and a couple other students to see remote control airplane models at Valley Forge Park one Sunday. We were all model airplane enthusiasts. But, I digress. Cool car!

I went to school with a guy that one of those and the other little Buick that looked like a little Corvette. They were cool little cars.

Here’s a nice little number for you, Rich. It was at the cruise in on Tuesday. 4 speed turbocharged convertible, and looked like loads of fun!

41555170-DF3A-4525-8523-1477C552FC99.jpeg

D2EECEE4-DC2A-41D9-BDFF-0DCE6064A028.jpeg

464AA84C-163E-491B-B2E3-D40F02D5B44B.jpeg

D5A78E10-4ABA-478A-BF18-A0E7A2A24328.jpeg

Last edited:
When those Opel’s were imported, in the 70’s, foreign cars were still a tough sell in the U.S.
Anything except VW’s were “weird”.

THE transplant engine for an opel is a buick turbo six.

When those Opel’s were imported, in the 70’s, foreign cars were still a tough sell in the U.S.
Anything except VW’s were “weird”.
That's why a lot of them were rebadged or marketed as "American" cars, like Buick or Pontiac

IIRC the opels were dual badged as buick/opel.

A bit odd since the Japanese "badge engineered" cars were badged for the American company.
isuzu- chevy
mazda- ford
mitsubishi- C/P/D

Here’s a nice little number for you, Rich. It was at the cruise in on Tuesday. 4 speed turbocharged convertible, and looked like loads of fun!

View attachment 1716150549

View attachment 1716150550

View attachment 1716150551

View attachment 1716150552
A few years ago, my Grandson found a real unusual Corvair. It was in kind of rough shape, but 65 or 66 convertable turbo charged 4 speed, with factory AC. It is the only Corvair I have ever seen with factory AC. I would have liked to have gotten the car, but his wife got rid of it very quickly after he was killed in a vechile accident.

Was it black?

I was aware of one.

It was a triple black turbo/spyder/monza.

The people that I believe owned it also had a 440 powered Hemi orange Jensen Interceptor.

I almost bought that for $3500!

...and then later they were killed in it.

Maybe not if the wife was still alive.

-
Back