Putting a 318 together and something seems wrong here (see pic)

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
I'm putting my 318 back together, had it apart due to a bad crank which also wrecked 3 pistons, a rod and a cylinder. Had the cylinder sleeved, replaced the bad pistons and rod, all cylinders honed and all new rings. This is the first time that I am putting an engine together, and I have a friend helping me who is a mechanic.

Anyway, we put the cam in and went to put the cover on but noticed something that we did not really notice when we took the engine apart. See the picture. This just doesn't look right- there are four threaded holes, only 3 bolts and that plate that sits on top looks like someone just bent it to fit that way (it has a hook that fits into the empty bolt hole). This is the way it was when we took the engine out; this engine has been rebuilt before.

Tell me what's wrong here and what the part is called that I think needs to be replaced?

0308011916.jpg

No, that looks ok in terms of overall... But... Is there a wear mark showing on the plate? Is it on backwards? The little tab directs oil that falls down from the upper drain holes onto the chain. That parts fine.

Id say the cam thrush plate is backwards. Going by wear marks, and the fact that all 4 bolt holes should line up.

The plate had a wear mark from the cam one one side and from the bolts on the other, so I'm pretty sure it is on the right way, unless the guy who built it before put it on backwards... But it seems strange to me that there are four threaded holes with only three bolts and the tab thing just hooks into that other hole. That's really how it's designed?

The holes do line up, it was only loosely installed in this picture so it only looks like it's not aligned.

Me thinks, sometimes I don't think.. sorry.. I've done dozens of timing chains and cams, and never seen that piece before, but it appears obvious that it belongs where its at, and I defer to Friesza, whom has seen plenty,, my apology. Were it mine, I'd chuck that piece out, and use 4 bolts.. imho..

hmmmmmm.....I personally have not seen one (almost looks home fabbed).....that does not mean it does not exist, I am just saying I had not seen it.

On my 318, that part was not there ....just the thrust plate and all 4 bolts went into it.

my engine had an oil slinger (looks like a saucer) that goes on the crank snout and slings the oil as it rotates .

Thats the way it is...I just had my 360 apart and thats the way the oiler is secured...its the way every small block I have owned has been....I would check camshaft end play too while at it. Good luck with the build.

that is right. the oil dribbles out the hole along the edge of the thingy and drips on the chain. Hole is threaded 'cause there was an earlier, different design that used the threaded hole for a bolt. (cant remember how the other one worked, seems like the bolt had a hole??)

my 67 shop manual does not show that slinger piece, but the 72 manual does. Says tighten bolts to 210 inch lbs

24xjbpv.jpg

Where does the aftermarket chain tensioner mount ? Does it delete that drip leg ?

It is correct in your photo. You have it oriented correctly and it only uses three bolts. As mentioned, oil comes out of the fourth, runs down the tab and lubes the timing chain.

Did the rear of the thrush plate have the oil groove in it? All the ones ive had appart, even with the chain oil tab, all 4 bolt holes still lined up. Witch is what led me to believe it may be on backwards. Even though it had bolt marks on the face whos to say someone hadnt changed the cam at some point an put it on backwards themselves.

Just checked a 318 that i have without the chain oil tab. All bolt holes line up eigther way but the inside has 2 indentations for the lifter oil galley plugs. Although my top left bolt while looking @ pic has a hole through the center of it. Mine is different all together.

go to a junk yard and take one apart and look at it if you want to be sure and you can get your last bolt while you are there

before that design, the bottom right hole had
a bolt with a hole in it

I just rebiult my 340 and yours is correct. Thats a drip oiler for the timing chain. On my 273 it does not have the drip oiler, it has a bolt in the fourth hole.

yep. ive seen that a few times...the metal tab is drip oiler for the chain. as was mentioned the 10 other times. lol

-
Back