putting a 440 in my 69 340 dart

-

machoramcharger

Reaction score
Just wondering exactly what I'll need to put a 440 in my dart. My dart had a 340 in with a 4 speed. I have a really strong 440 that I just had built for my 69 charger but it will be a year or so before the charger body is completely done and my dart body is ready to go. What exactly will I need to do the conversion.
-440 engine harness( i have a slant 6 one and I've heard there the same?)
-schumacher 340 to 440 mounts $150.00
-torsion bars (what size?)
-headers (not sure what to go with for least modifcation) Tri y headers $500, just not sure if they work with 4 speeds?
-I have bell house for my 440 will it work with my 340 4 speed tranny, or will I have to find a different one
-sub frame connectors

If any one can add to my list that would be great, thanks Ryan

You'll need the oil pan with the notch in it to clear the steering linkage. I forget the part#, but you can find them all over Ebag.

The bell will work w/ the 340 tranny.

Have you checked out bigblockdart.com? They have some tech pages dedicated to some of the issues that arise when doing a BB conversion. I'm sure that'll answer a lot of the questions you have.

IMO if you are gonna run a 4 speed I think I would look into exhaust manifolds instead of headers.If I remember right that would prolly take less mods.Go with the Magnum b body manifolds.Just my 2 cents.

Ryan, the quick and dirty is definetely sub frame connecters, if you want to continue to close your doors that is, there might be a problem with the Z bar using schmacher tri Y's and TTI's cuss of clutch linkage but talk to them for sure, you'll need either the 187 or 699 stamped pan for idler arm clearance and neither one might not come with the baffles which you'll need. Don't forget a windage tray, Milidon recommended over the Mopar unit. Almost forgot, .890 bars for sure.

Sorry that wasn't so quick but was sure dirty.

Terry:burnout:

you do not need to change the Torsion bars.

not sure on the driveshaft since its a 4 speed...

you SB radiator may or may not work--depends on its internal condition.

You dont need a complete wire harness --just wiring for the dist / coil / water sending unit , etc..

-
Back