Query re engine cooling

-

Zuluman

Reaction score
I have a 1975 Plymouth Valiant with a tuned slant-6 engine and am suffering problems with overheating.

The engine has high-compression pistons, a mild racing camshaft, racing ignition, an equal-length runner intake manifold and tubular extractor from AussieSpeed, as well as a ported & polished cylinder head from Hemi Performance with larger valves and dual valve springs. The carburettor is a 360cfm 4bbl from Edelbrock. I also have nitro.

Does anyone have experience with the aluminium competition radiator from Smith's Radiators ? Pls see link below ;

http://www.smithsradiator.com/mopar/abody/index.html

I'm also considering an engine oil cooler, as shown below ;

http://www.andysautosport.com/oil_c...sb_price=Sort+by+Price&sb_brand=Sort+by+Brand

I'd especially like input as to whether the 45-degree or 90-degree fittings are most appropriate and what length would best suit my application. Kindly note that I have very limited space remaining ; there is only a 5mm gap between the air-conditioning compressor and the radiator fan housing.

Finally, is an engine driven fan or electric fan better ?

Looking forward to reading the replies.

Zuluman

Attachments

• 1149065_512736142139755_679853219_n.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 1000001_512736078806428_1842005938_n.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 300
Well, for starters, have you checked the condition of the thermostat ???
And an electric fan that kicks in when the a/c is turned on, or engine reaches a certain temp. would be the go.....this keeps the head pressure down in the a/c compressor.
An alloy radiator is far superior in its ability to remove heat.
An engine oil cooler will also help.

Well, for starters, have you checked the condition of the thermostat ???
And an electric fan that kicks in when the a/c is turned on, or engine reaches a certain temp. would be the go.....this keeps the head pressure down in the a/c compressor.
An alloy radiator is far superior in its ability to remove heat.
An engine oil cooler will also help.

Thank you for the feedback. Your opinion is most welcome and helpful.

I have to check the available space and then I'll make my final decision. If I add an engine-oil cooler then the car will have 4 radiators..

I don't like engine oil coolers. My M-B's have them. One rubber cooler line was cut by a fan belt and sprayed oil under the hood. Fortunately, my son didn't drive far and run low enough to ruin the engine. A co-worker had one in his 60's car and a hose blew, spewing a mess.

I don't like engine oil coolers. My M-B's have them. One rubber cooler line was cut by a fan belt and sprayed oil under the hood. Fortunately, my son didn't drive far and run low enough to ruin the engine. A co-worker had one in his 60's car and a hose blew, spewing a mess.

Thank you for your input. The item I'm considering has steel-braided hoses, which may help. Judicious routing and a shield may also help.

In any event, I'll try the radiator first. If I need additional cooling after that, then I'll weigh my opinions.

I've found an open element air cleaner over the headers is source of elevated engine temps. Could try bringing in some cool air for the carb. Won't hurt performance either. Wont keep the temp down forever in traffic but it helps if you're close to being able to control it. And if you haven't checked you A/F ratios at idle, cruise and power I'd look there also.

Any fan shroud is better than no shroud. Even blocking off the radiator 2" behind the core with a sheet of AL with a fan circle cut out helps. Stand it off and then bend the sides over 90's to make a box shape: cut sheet out 4 inches bigger than your radiator core horizontally and vertically. cut 2X2 square out at each corner, fold remaining 2" flaps in at a 90 with a brake or over a good edge. Mount and mark center of fan shaft, use compass and cut out circle 1" larger than your fan. Bingo, custom shroud. Make little 90 tabs to bolt to radiator frame.

Thank you Voeltagear.

What you write makes sense to me. My first try is to replace the current radiator with a competition item from Smith's Radiators. I'm also considering having louvres cut in the hood for extra fresh air. Another possibility might be to change the air-cleaner and route the intake from a still place with a cool air source. I've also given thought to covering the extractor with asbestos tape or a ceramic heat-resistant coating.

Thank you, pishta.

The electric fan already has a shroud that fits the radiator and the electric fan perfectly. As written above, I intend to change the radiator for an item from Smith's Radiators, which should help.

An alloy radiator is always going to be more efficient than a brass/copper one....look at how many modern cars use them now, and the last 10 years or so.

-
Back