Question about center links

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
I see all the time where folks are looking for a "dropped center link" when doing a slant six to V8 conversion, because of the oil pan issue I presume. Were the center links straight, prior to a certain year? I ask this because the link in my son's '74 slanted Dart Sport is identical to the one he swapped over to his '74 Duster 360 (was slanted) from a '73 Duster 318. Although the Dart Sport got its disc brakes swapped over from a '76 Duster, that Duster was also slanted.

In other words, are all the center links for slants and V8 applications the same (dropped), following a certain year model?

Just curious,
Jerry

My dads '68 Dart was a slant six when he got it. He swapped out the slant six for a 360, and upgraded his drum brakes to a '73 Discs. I want to say that he is still using a the original straight center link. My '74 Duster has a "drop" center link, granted it was originally a 318 car, now It has a 440 in there with out any clearance issues.

Shown here:

Picture006.jpg

Essentially, the issue is with the Early As (63-66). the slant 6 centerlink was had about a 1" drop. the V8 centerlink had a 2 inch drop. If using the S6 link, it would rub the bottom of the oil pan of a V8. If you convert to a V8, you need this V8 link AND a cable gas pedal rather than the twisting rod linkage (also found on S6 cars)

In 67, the centerlink was widened and dropped. All cars got the same link. this design lasted until 72. The TREs went into the ends of the centerlink front to back. In 73, the centerlink was the same width, but the TREs now went into the ends of the centerlink, bottom to top.

Essentially, the issue is with the Early As (63-66). the slant 6 centerlink was had about a 1" drop. the V8 centerlink had a 2 inch drop. If using the S6 link, it would rub the bottom of the oil pan of a V8. If you convert to a V8, you need this V8 link AND a cable gas pedal rather than the twisting rod linkage (also found on S6 cars)

In 67, the centerlink was widened and dropped. All cars got the same link. this design lasted until 72. The TREs went into the ends of the centerlink front to back. In 73, the centerlink was the same width, but the TREs now went into the ends of the centerlink, bottom to top.

Additionally, the 73+ idler and pitman enter from the opposite side than the 67-72 centerlink. 73+ from the top, 67-72 from the bottom.

-
Back