Question about oil leak

-

downsr

Reaction score
Finally got leaking mopar performance valve covers fixed by notching the the covers around the intake runners.Still have one leak left.With the inspection cover off i can see a drip come off the oil pan seal in the rear.Is there anyway to tell if its the rear main or just the pan seal.I believe i may have caused this by not having breathers on the valve covers.Since then i have installed a breather that runs to the air cleaner and a stand alone breather on passengers side.Drivers side has pcv and twist on fill cap.It has a k1 rotating assembly.Do they take a special seal or are they all the same.Lastly if i need to change the rear seal is there any place i can find out how to do it.I only want to do it once.What is best seal?

It may just be residual oil. Wash it out with brakleen, and blow it off with compressed air. Repeat as necessary, until the blowgun stops finding oil.

Another option is to pressurize the crankcase with 3psi or so, and spraying suspect areas with soapy water,looking for BuBBles.Do not exceed 4psi, as you may create new leaks.This is a tricky operation.Be sure your low-pressure gauge is accurate.
I use a pressure regulator, or near-empty air tank hooked up to the dipstick tube,with a stop valve plumbed in,and a large diameter vacuum/fuel-pressure gauge Teed into it.I seal the engine.Once the crankcase is pressurized, and it has stabilized, I close the valve. If the pressure begins to fall right away, theres a problem. Open the valve and go hunting. If the pressure falls very slowly, it may be normal, as its hard to seal the engine up tight. In between, is discretionary.
Or you can just drive it. Dirt will collect at every,seep,leak or weep.

I cleaned it several times.I can see it drip at idle.It drips off the rubber oil pan seal in the rear.Thinking it has to be rear main or oil pan seal.Checked with mirror around rear of valve covers and around oil sending unit did not see any leaks.Hate to change just oil pan seal and it be rear main and have to do it again.Other hand hate to mess with rear main and there not be a problem with it and create one

make sure that it is not coming from the oil sending unit, or distributor, or rear intake and dripping down the rear of the block.

I placed a mirror in back of the intake and could not see it leaking in the back anywhere

Sounds like a rear main to me (if as you say there are no other leaks up higher on the motor.)
I did a rear main on a motorhome in my driveway 2 days before going on a long trip with it and it was just loads of fun. (Not) :D

If you see it drip right from the rubber part of the pan seal while it's sitting it probably is the rear main seal and not the pan rail gasket.
It could have been the rail gasket if it was being driven, then stopped and see it dripping.

-
Back