Question on 68 Coronet story.

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
The folks had a 68 Coronet 440, 2 door hardtop with a 318 2 barrel automatic back in the early to mid 70's. Dad was telling me a story the other day that it had a special (experimental?)carb on it and that there was under 1,000 of these carbs put on cars and that the intake would only accept that carb. He also claimed to get around 25 mpg. Is there any truth or semi-truth. Wish I still had that car, it was blue (not sure what blue exactly)with a white vinyl top and white interior. After I started researching and learning mopars, Ihave wondered if it was a white hat special.

Thanks
Aaron

I had a 68 Coronet 440 totally stock 318 2 bbl 276 gear and I got 22 MPG on the highway.

Special experimental carb~~~IDK

22 MPG HWY---probably.

There's been "special" carbs since the end of time

All of them are "secret", "experimental," and the "owners were killed" or the "owners were bought out" by the oil companies.

So ask yourself THIS question:

"IF any carmaker could actually get their hands on one of these "special" carbs that got such tremendous mileage, don't you think they could sell more cars than they could make?"

Also, 68 was the first year across the country (Federally) that required ALL cars to have significant emission controls. ANY equipment used on these cars had to be approved by the Federal EPA, and in some cases, AKA Califrootia, also had to meet state standards.

Although not a Mopar, a buddy told me a story about a 63½ Ford Falcon Sprint his dad had back in the early 70s. He was in the process of putting the engine back together, and requested info from Ford on the motor. He sent them all the info he could find stamped on the block, heads, intake, etc. A month or so later, he told me two guys from FoMoCo showed up at his dad's, in Alaska, with a check in hand for $5000 to buy the motor back sight unseen. Supposedly it was an experimental design and wasn't supposed to have left the facility. IF the story is true, then there are some out there that have slipped through the cracks and made it to the general populace. So you never know...

Oh, and he said his dad turned the money down and kept the engine. Don't know that I would have, had I been in the same position. $5000 is a lot of money today, let alone 40 to 45 years ago!

I'm not so sure about the claim in real world mpg. Consider that the 1967 Mobil Fuel Economy Run was won by a 6 cylinder Rambler American at 23.80 mpg. This event was sanctioned by USAC. Sorry, the '68 event was cancelled during its running due to the assassination of MLK. Mobil was already doubting the benefit of the event, did not pick up again in 1969. If someone had a "trick" carb in the works, the Mobil event would have been the perfect time to pull it out.

It was probably the experimental Carter bbd.
They were experimenting to see how lousy a carb they could get away with on a good 318 engine.

-
Back