Question on a A904 with photo

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
I am changing my trans fluid and filter.
I seen a locknut/bolt thingy in the photo, inside the transmission. Is this a reverse band adjustment?
I looked on the side of the transmission, and I don't see anything else. I thought there would be a forward band adjustment on the side, but its not there. I don't even know if I have to do this. Just guessing I may? Shifts fine. Does go into gear hard once in a while when going from park to reverse, or into drive. But shifts great, and smooth.
my car is a
1971 Valiant 225/A904

20120928_130937.jpg

He says back it off 4 turns in the video, most will say 3 1/2. That's your rear band adjustment.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIH8ebXNZY"]904 Torqueflite Rear Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

Is there a forward band adjustment? I looked on the side of the trans, I don't see anything?

I am not sure if they changed over the years or not. Someone else will chime in I'm sure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6562c-8pBU"]904 Torqueflite Front Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

Yes. the kickdown band is the technical term. The adjuster for it is on the outside of the case, above and in front of the shift lever. The Kickdown band is off in 1st, applied in 2nd, and released for 3rd - so it's fairly important that it get set properly, and be checked every once in a while. Most adjustments depend on the ratio of the kickdown apply lever, but if you don';t know that and dont have the pan off (it's stamped in the arm), then assume 2 1/2 turns out from "snug".

I can't tell what side of the tranny he was on. I looked on both sides. I see nothing as odd as it sounds. I will do my reverse one, and get everything buttoned back up, and can do the forward one even with the pan on I suppose.

Holy crap, I see advance gave me the wrong filter....ugh!!!!! Thats the only one that have a listing for. For my 71/A904

filter.jpg

Looks like the holes are the same, just a longer filter. Same one on my 74, I just had it out day before yesterday.

Is that a hole between the two angled screw holes on the old filter?

Looks like the holes are the same, just a longer filter. Same one on my 74, I just had it out day before yesterday.

Is that a hole between the two angled screw holes on the old filter?

Yes, thats what worries me. i put an arrow to the other hole. I don't want to starve the tranny of fluid. The photo will blow up bigger when clicked on.
The screw holes are the same.

filter-1.jpg

..................look ahead of ur rear band lever to the valve body part thats jutted over, it will have the year on it........if 66 or newer u have the right filter.........also is the rear band regular looking[then its backed off 2 turns] or does it look like 3 pieces like in the video, then back off 3 turns it will keep the trans from slamming into reverse......kim........Ya i just had a better look at ur vb, u do have the right filter

I'm thinking the filter is right, I don't see another hole in the valve body in the OP.

"The 64-65 904's had 2 holes in the filter because the tranny had 2 fluid intake ports on the bottom of the valve body—one for the front pump, and one for the rear pump. If you use a 1-hole filter on a '65 or earlier trans, you'll starve the rear pump, which will begin to whine as it wears." SlantSixDan
Posted on slantsix.org
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72996&highlight=#72996

"The 64-65 904's had 2 holes in the filter because the tranny had 2 fluid intake ports on the bottom of the valve body—one for the front pump, and one for the rear pump. If you use a 1-hole filter on a '65 or earlier trans, you'll starve the rear pump, which will begin to whine as it wears." SlantSixDan
Posted on slantsix.org
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72996&highlight=#72996

Good to know. There you have it Ruger. If one hole then you're good to go.

I am changing my trans fluid and filter.
I seen a locknut/bolt thingy in the photo, inside the transmission. Is this a reverse band adjustment?
I looked on the side of the transmission, and I don't see anything else. I thought there would be a forward band adjustment on the side, but its not there. I don't even know if I have to do this. Just guessing I may? Shifts fine. Does go into gear hard once in a while when going from park to reverse, or into drive. But shifts great, and smooth.
my car is a
1971 Valiant 225/A904

20120928_130937.jpg
not much adjustment left there. that two hole filter is wrong for your year. someone been in there playing. rear band is probbly wore out.

Why would you say my ewar band is wore out? I dont understand.
Ok. I will use this one hole. Thanks guys. I feel better about that.

Also. Maybe I better check that no one has changed my tranny. Since it hsd the two hole filter on it.

not much adjustment left there. that two hole filter is wrong for your year. someone been in there playing. rear band is probbly wore out.

Oh. Your seeing the stud adjustment is at its end. I saw that too. There is some gap in it. I have to check the turns on it.

..................look ahead of ur rear band lever to the valve body part thats jutted over, it will have the year on it........if 66 or newer u have the right filter.........also is the rear band regular looking[then its backed off 2 turns] or does it look like 3 pieces like in the video, then back off 3 turns it will keep the trans from slamming into reverse......kim........Ya i just had a better look at ur vb, u do have the right filter

I am so sorry for the dumbness. I dont know what you meanb two or three pieces? There is a stud and locknut. If that helps.

.............in the 1st video u can clearly see what i mean, it has the 2 slots making it appear to be 3 pieces.....can u post a pic of ur rear band............kim..........

.............in the 1st video u can clearly see what i mean, it has the 2 slots making it appear to be 3 pieces.....can u post a pic of ur rear band............kim..........

I am going back in the garage right now. I will grab some more photos of the rear band. Sorry I am very new to this part of transmissions.

Okay, here is a photo of the rear band close up....do you guys know how many turns out after the 72 foot lb thing on this rear band?
I can't see a year anywhere on the VB.

20120928_192331.jpg

-
Back