Question on fuel guage wiring

-

nrubino

Reaction score
Im wondering if there is any danger of explosion with the electrical wires on the sending unit inside the tank.

I replaced my tank and sending unit and am kinda worried if I got it wired right.

There is only one wire to it, does it need an additional ground or anything?

Thanks, Nick

No. The fuel vapors in a tank are so ridiculously "rich" that is far past the ignition envelope. The AF envelope for various fuels goes "so far" lean and "so far" rich. Outside of those ratios, fuel could never ever ignite.

Look at "in tank" pumps. These use FAR more power than your fuel sender uses, and the brushes!!! which spark!!! run right in!!! the fuel!!!

There is always a danger of explosion, but the likelihood of it happening is almost non-existent.
I copied the following from a post of mine a couple days ago

I recently measured the temp of the sending unit in the open air with the sending unit on full and the voltage at 6vdc, not 5vdc,
My sending unit in the open air today in PHX, AZ was at a temp of 76 degrees. I ran the sender in the full position and am using 6.03VDC, not the 5VDC stock regulator.
Running in the open air, after 30-45 minutes the sender reached a temperature of 91 degrees. When in the car, surrounded with the gasoline, I highly doubt that it will raise the temp 1 maybe 2 degrees.
I feel this is safe enough for me in my car. You need to make your owned decision whether or not you wish to use the higher voltage if need be.

I think I need a disclaimer: I do not accept any responsibility for anyone actions, but my own. If you decide to make the modification to your vehicle as I described, you assume all the risk. I am not responsible if the 'fix' does not work or the car is damaged to any extent.
In other words; All information I have posted is for entertainment purposes only

No. The fuel vapors in a tank are so ridiculously "rich" that is far past the ignition envelope. The AF envelope for various fuels goes "so far" lean and "so far" rich. Outside of those ratios, fuel could never ever ignite.

Look at "in tank" pumps. These use FAR more power than your fuel sender uses, and the brushes!!! which spark!!! run right in!!! the fuel!!!

this is correct, unless there is an insane amount of air mixing with the gas fire will not happen

I've seen in some intank fuel pump applications where the pump went bad the plug was melted to nearly nothing and touching a steel tank with power in the wires!

-
Back