Question on oil pan gasket

-

downsr

Reaction score
Putting new milodon oil pan gasket on 340 engine.The engine is in the car.Putting gaskets on pan then on block.Does the side pieces go over the rubber end pieces at the corners where they meet.Pictures.Thanks

Yes, with dabs of RTV between the rubber end seals and the pan,at the corners; and a teensy bit more on top of the rubber where it contacts the side-pieces.Put the RTV on there such that most of the SQUEEZE-OUT goes to the outside,where you can wipe it off; but not so biased that there is no squeeze-out towards the inside at all.If that makes sense to you. Squeeze-out is inevitable, so let it dry before the oil goes in.
If the engine is installed,I usually glue the side pieces to the block with a contact cement. Then I know they will stay where I put'em.Whenever possible I use line-up pins to aid in positioning the pan. Then I can hold the darned thing up there with one hand while I start a couple of screws wherever it seems easiest,with the other.If you are doing this on the floor, a correctly sized stick, or a small jack, can be wedged under there to make screw starting really easy.The line-up pins can be nothing more than long bolts with the heads cut off and a screwdriver slot cut across the shank end. I use those types of pins everywhere I can.

-
Back